Question F_Audio connectors not fitting?

Jul 28, 2019
I have the HP-Pavillion Elite HPE chassis, and recently upgraded to a LGA 1155 mATX motherboard.

The problem is, there is cables running from the front panel, over to the motherboard. These are yellow, white and black connectors that plug into what controls the Audio ports, and USB ports in the front (maybe back, let’s hope not) of the computer.

Why are they different sizes? My old motherboard was also mATX, so shouldn’t they be the same? Or is a Dell motherboard made differently?

Side note: do these cables only control the front panel? If it controls the back and I can’t use my mouse/keyboard I’m going to be pissed :/

Edit: my motherboard only has 2 jacks in the back for speakers I’m assuming. This means even if the back isn’t effected by this, I won’t be able to use a mic, which kind of worries me as I game with some people; mostly strategy games such as Arma 3 and league of legends.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
the back USB are built right onto the motherboard so they will work regardless of the front USB being connected. as for the speaker jacks, I find it strange you say there are only 2, I am looking at a pic of the motherboard you say you upgraded to and it clearly shows 3 jacks, a green, pink and blue, one would be for the mic, the other 2 for speakers. as for the front panel im not sure about seeing as I cannot see the cables you refer too. perhaps the conections are old and the newer modle boards no longer support that style

Jul 28, 2019
the back USB are built right onto the motherboard so they will work regardless of the front USB being connected. as for the speaker jacks, I find it strange you say there are only 2, I am looking at a pic of the motherboard you say you upgraded to and it clearly shows 3 jacks, a green, pink and blue, one would be for the mic, the other 2 for speakers. as for the front panel im not sure about seeing as I cannot see the cables you refer too. perhaps the conections are old and the newer modle boards no longer support that style
Yeah only two jacks, Blue and Green, or Line Out and Line In I think.

And good, that means at least my keyboard, mouse and speakers will work.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
oh.. interesting..to connect the front panel I wouldn't say there is much you can do short of some how rigging a connection for the front ports. I have before by removing the wires from those plastic connectors, normaly they are soldered to a golden colored sleeve that slides over the connection pins and if you know the pins you can just slip the wire end over the pin. I would recommend a shop to do this though if your not familiar with the pins as connecting them to the wrong ones or wrong way may cause damage