Facebook Acquires Hundreds of Patents from IBM

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Yeah, the patent system is more about bullying the competition than actual invention those days it would seem. Hardly surprising when everything can be patented! It would not surprise me if someone even have patent to breathe air!

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]needs no update, just needs a new branch to deal with tech pattents exclusively.[/citation]

For one thing. Since the patent system wasn't meant to hinder innovation. Computing tech patents need to have much shorter lifespans given how quickly the landscape changes. It's not like a loom, harvester or cotton gin were increasing exponentially every year or two. Computer tech patents should be one to two years.

They should also be specific, require a functioning product and be a significant development. Not something silly like swipe to unlock, slight variation in design, or appearance of a case. In regards to cases that is something more for a trademark or copyright. Patents should be reserved for software and hardware like the first GUI, mouse, LCD, facial recognition, &c.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]For one thing. Since the patent system wasn't meant to hinder innovation. Computing tech patents need to have much shorter lifespans given how quickly the landscape changes. It's not like a loom, harvester or cotton gin were increasing exponentially every year or two. Computer tech patents should be one to two years.They should also be specific, require a functioning product and be a significant development. Not something silly like swipe to unlock, slight variation in design, or appearance of a case. In regards to cases that is something more for a trademark or copyright. Patents should be reserved for software and hardware like the first GUI, mouse, LCD, facial recognition, &c.[/citation]

you have to make a difference between corporate and individual patents too. an individual may not be able to get a working product out, but could to the research and possibly find the solution that a corporation didn't.

i don't believe patents should be buyable in tech, if a company goes under, public domain.

anonymous98273198

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Please, for the love of God, sell ANYONE patents before you give them to Facebook.

Facebook is a data-whoring POS that will eventually be used to prosecute 90% of people, ever want to take FB to a court of law, better hope you don't have anything stupid on FB.

Stop giving away all your information toolbags.

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
[citation][nom]anonymous98273198[/nom]Please, for the love of God, sell ANYONE patents before you give them to Facebook. Facebook is a data-whoring POS that will eventually be used to prosecute 90% of people, ever want to take FB to a court of law, better hope you don't have anything stupid on FB. Stop giving away all your information toolbags.[/citation]

That's sort of the whole idea behind social media. Gather information about yourself to share with others. Besides there are far worse offenders *cough*google*cough*

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]*snip* Computer tech patents should be one to two years.They should also be specific, require a functioning product and be a significant development. *snip*[/citation]

I agree overall with shortening the duration of patents not just for "tech" but across the board. It's a system that needs an overhaul and not just in the US but globally. Without unilateral and global application of patents the system only provides "bite" in specific markets and only hampers innovation in those same markets which is central to why China is pulling far ahead of the US in the manufacturing of technology.

The system creates an unfair economic advantage that we are seeing taking a huge toll on the US economy.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]The patent system is broken and now is used to bully start up companies out of business more than anything else. This keeps the fat cats in power. FU Face book, never used you, don't ever want to use you. I can step outside into the real world and meet my friends. Facebook is for Tools.[/citation]

I use Facebook all the time, but you won't find me click on ads or spending money on silly online games. If people are dumb enough to waste their cash on such silly crap, then fine. My child will be wealthier among her peers as a result. More power to my family. Please, spend your money on stupid crap. :)

G

The whole problem is it just got an update, someone elected an asshole that switched the system from first to invent to first to file. This opened Pandora's box.

Status
Not open for further replies.