Facebook Aimed To Match Patient Data To User Profiles Without Consent

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Aneesh Chopra, president of CareJourney, a health software company specializing in patient data, seems to agree that Facebook is not approaching this issue the right way:"

The Right Way?
I would use much much stronger language than that. From all the previous "problems" that Facebook has had I knew sooner or later they would go too far.
Something always rubbed me the wrong way about Zuckerberg. I'm not saying he was (or is) malicious but rather naive and/or sloppy or just downright irresponsible.
This should be very interesting to follow.

humorific

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Clearly, Facebook does not possess commonsense or the culture to understand what they are doing is wrong. I propose that as part of the profile, users should be able to see then name, date, and their statistics given of every company that has been given their information, anonymized or not.

Facebook continues to become more and more emboldened. We have two options left: 1) stop using it or 2) get public opinion drummed up for governments to take action against them. Zuckerberg's company is an out of control runaway train at this point. Their power has made them corrupt. There is no competition against Facebook so what do they have to worry about?

I understand that Facebook is the new means of communication between friends and family because it's convenient and has made email essentially obsolete, but they are clearly crossing civil rights boundaries now.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
- Bishop Mandell Creighton, 1887

randomizer

Champion
This is already done with less important data in basically the same way, but in those cases a person could have reasonably expected their data to be shared. Trying it with patient data is a brazen move though.

hannibal

Distinguished
This is Late apprils fools day news... Right? This has to be or someone has gone out of his mind completely!
Patient information is one of the most prohibed information that you can have or accuire by the law in most civiliced countries...

plateLunch

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
I keep wondering why the press hasn't taken Zuckerberg apart for the difference in the way he protects his own privacy vs. the way he treats his users' privacy.

Zuck bought a house in Palo Alto, and then proceeded to buy every home surrounding his so he could have his own privacy! He was on the verge of kicking the families in the surrounding homes out but the last I heard that was delayed. And he did a similar thing on the island of Kauai in Hawaii. Instead this time he bought acres of land surrounding his home and proceeded to build a stone wall around the entire holding. This pissed off the native Hawaiians who were denied access to lands they had farmed for decades.

^^History has shown that dictators of countries do the same thing. It's just disgusting. I don't know how he can live with himself but I guess all that money and power has blinded him. The man clearly has no human conscience.

Co BIY

Splendid
This situation is so clueless that I suspect they want government intervention. Nothing like some rumors of medical privacy being violated to get real action.

My conspiratorial mind suspects that Facebook and Google may want heavy government regulation at this point. It would essentially freeze the status quo because only they could afford to comply with the onerous rules while sitting on their huge stash of valuable data and large market share. New entrants could never get started in the smothering regs and never dethrone them.

They may not be able to get bigger than they are now so it's time to lock in the win.

"Please, Please don't make me a regulated utility with guaranteed profit margins and no competition allowed."

Status
Not open for further replies.