News Facebook Buys CTRL-labs Brain Interface Startup

TR0767

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
FB has become the Social Media version of Ma Bell. I say it needs to be broken up, just like AT&T was back in the day....

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
FB has become the Social Media version of Ma Bell. I say it needs to be broken up, just like AT&T was back in the day....
Perhaps, but breaking up Bell Telephone didn't ultimately solve that much. The children just gobbled each other up, and now we're back to a situation where Verizon is almost as bad.

I don't object to a potential break-up to reconcile some acquisitions that probably shouldn't have been approved, but I think regulation of social media is a better overall solution. The problem is that breakups are easier for politicians than coming up with (and actually passing bills on ) good regulation.

Reactions: TR0767

TR0767

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
Perhaps, but breaking up Bell Telephone didn't ultimately solve that much. The children just gobbled each other up, and now we're back to a situation where Verizon is almost as bad.

I don't object to a potential break-up to reconcile some acquisitions that probably shouldn't have been approved, but I think regulation of social media is a better overall solution. The problem is that breakups are easier for politicians than coming up with (and actually passing bills on ) good regulation.

You're probably right about that. I just hate seeing the government is more and more of our lives. Freedom is just about gone in this country it seems. But I won't get started on that issue :)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
You're probably right about that. I just hate seeing the government is more and more of our lives. Freedom is just about gone in this country it seems. But I won't get started on that issue :)
Yeah, regulating social media without running afoul of the 1st amendment probably won't be easy. However, I believe it can be done in a way that could actually protect speech more than the platforms are currently doing.

That said, I'm not optimistic. It's one of those problems that's easy and popular to criticize, but difficult to fix or improve.