Facebook Can Use Phone Numbers For Targeted Advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]Nothing convinces me Google doesn't do something similar. They even use the same "security reasons" excuse.[/citation]

Well it seems Google has actually been quite trustworthy, Facebook has been exposed time and time again. Google already has targeted advertising through its search engine and other sites but they aren't the same greedy company others such as Facebook are.

aoneone

May 27, 2011
hehe Everyone is getting commercialized and used for money... But not me ^_^. Thank god I leave no carbon print online.

I have always been computer savvy since 1995 and I wake up every morning thanking the Cosmos that I didn't end up becoming a Facebook and/or Twitter zombie.

Guess what? You feel like deleting your account? Well since 2011 you can close, ban, delete all you want, but you will ALWAYS leave some kind of 'print'.

Welp, have fun getting identified.. time for me to lurk back into anonymity shadows see ya! ^_^

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]hehe Everyone is getting commercialized and used for money... But not me ^_^. Thank god I leave no carbon print online. I have always been computer savvy since 1995 and I wake up every morning thanking the Cosmos that I didn't end up becoming a Facebook and/or Twitter zombie. Guess what? You feel like deleting your account? Well since 2011 you can close, ban, delete all you want, but you will ALWAYS leave some kind of 'print'. Welp, have fun getting identified.. time for me to lurk back into anonymity shadows see ya! ^_^[/citation]

Your IP can be traced to where you live.

Have fun digesting that bit of info.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Your IP can be traced to where you live.Have fun digesting that bit of info.[/citation]

The Petraus investigation showed how well disposable email accounts worked, they compared IP addresses, travel histories, and hotel records to get names to tie to the accounts.

edgewood112358

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Your IP can be traced to where you live.Have fun digesting that bit of info.[/citation]

I've got one acronym for you: TOR

Also, in general people should take it for granted in this day and age that almost anything they put online is not truly secure or private, and should take due precautions.

Auroram

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
[citation][nom]edgewood112358[/nom]I've got one acronym for you: TORAlso, in general people should take it for granted in this day and age that almost anything they put online is not truly secure or private, and should take due precautions.[/citation]
I hope you'll never want to own any domains then. Whois tools don't care about TOR. :p

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]edgewood112358[/nom]I've got one acronym for you: TORAlso, in general people should take it for granted in this day and age that almost anything they put online is not truly secure or private, and should take due precautions.[/citation]

TOR is not a fix all, sadly. As you said, almost anything you put online is not truly secure and or private, this includes TOR, proxys, etc. If someone really wants to find you that bad, they will. Taking precautions will help tho.

Just think about what you are putting on the internet before you post/upload/download and you should be better off than just using TOR alone.

G

[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]hehe Everyone is getting commercialized and used for money... But not me ^_^. Thank god I leave no carbon print online. I have always been computer savvy since 1995 and I wake up every morning thanking the Cosmos that I didn't end up becoming a Facebook and/or Twitter zombie. Guess what? You feel like deleting your account? Well since 2011 you can close, ban, delete all you want, but you will ALWAYS leave some kind of 'print'. Welp, have fun getting identified.. time for me to lurk back into anonymity shadows see ya! ^_^[/citation]

Wear silver foil hats much?

"Common Sence". Unfortunatelly, it is something very hard to find nowdays.
My main us in FB is trolling my friends, posting funny pics to make them laught, and writing to stay in somewhat of a contact with distant friends.

Cant see any more use for that page :D

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]why would anybody put their phone number on Facebook!?[/citation]
Because facebook pesters users for it. And to the people who are naturally worried about stalking, facebook reassures the humber will be used only for account verification in case of a hack. I remember several occasions where facebook pestered me enough for me to give them the work mobile just to get rid of the notice.
But what I can say is that the other account that got no phone number from me got deactivated... they said because it was not a real person. I would say 'who cares?' but I was actually pissed about it. I actually used that to check if my privacy settings took place or were publicly visible. I don't want clicking 'like' on a 9gag post with some funny but maybe sexist joke, and have my boss see it on my timeline or on his feed. So, checking it via the alternative account was useful. But facebook decided that no phone meant I was to be booted.

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
i thought as user can choose which information is published, and now they sell our private information, now phone number, what's next ? our private picture is available ? address ? i can't believe governments as in US and Europe could allow this, they should block facebook services.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
virtualban: just because there's a box for a phone number (or anything else) doesn't mean you have to put in your actual phone number (or most other things)! I take great offence when I'm increasingly asked for personal info for online registration for certain things, and I duly oblige with utter bolloks.

Status
Not open for further replies.