Facebook 'Nearby Friends' Can Reveal Your Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombie615

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
What is with all this facebook crap. I mean seriously.... can you not call your friend if you want to see what they are up too. They are basically just masking this to make it easy for government agencies, marketing, and weirdo's to watch your every move. Exactly why I don't do the whole social thing on the internet. What happened to the good old days when a phone was a phone.

vpoko

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
What is with all this facebook crap. I mean seriously.... can you not call your friend if you want to see what they are up too. They are basically just masking this to make it easy for government agencies, marketing, and weirdo's to watch your every move. Exactly why I don't do the whole social thing on the internet. What happened to the good old days when a phone was a phone.

I agree that it's a pretty pointless feature, but since Facebook has been tracking location data for years, this isn't anything new as far as the government and marketer tracking.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
'We are totally OK with people not wanting to opt in right away," Vaccari says.'

Because eventually, it doesn't matter what you want, you will just be opt'ed in.

pills161

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
What happened to just having a simple site/app where you can share photos and updates with friends and family? Does anyone else think Facebook is just completely out of control now and way too big for what it's intended purpose was? Why would anybody really care about looking at a map to see where all their "friends" are actually currently located?

Zombie615

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

I be damned if I get opt'ed into this crap. I'll go off the grid. I'll throw my smartphone into a river an find some place miles away from anything that runs off a battery. Take that government. Better bring your choppers an night vision if you want to find out where I'm at an what I'm doing.

All this new technology every year that is suppose to benefit society in one way or another is garbage. Only thing it's doing is improving the leaders of the worlds ability to take robotic type control over every human on the planet. Soon we will be worse than just a statistic. We'll be a drone just walking around doing whatever they want us to do with the touch of a button.

Zombie615

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

Well you sir are blinded by the big sign saying technology is user-friendly an 100% safe and in no way will ever violate your privacy without permission. <<<< all lies....

Evan Bussey

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
Big deal. I love this idea. Hot girl near me? Drop her a line, meet up and drop a load. Turn off when I want. big deal. The only thing the NSA will catch me doing is dropping loads. IDC

Zombie615

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

If you say so.... who's to say just because you click the little check box that claims the GPS function is turned off that it's actually turned off? Hmmmm.... trust a money hungry company or value your privacy an right to live the way you want.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
"Big deal. I love this idea. Hot girl near me? Drop her a line, meet up and drop a load. Turn off when I want. big deal. The only thing the NSA will catch me doing is dropping loads. IDC"

Umm nooooo, It's not a pervert/sleaze tool! lol
That hot chick has to be on your friends list, It isn't just going to show you where women are so you can try your moves on them.
If you want that then there is the other facebook(replace face with f&*k)!

Status
Not open for further replies.