Facebook Promises To Warn Users Against State-Sponsored Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

anathema_forever

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Funny thing is I never bother with most of those extra features like please give us your cell number so we can data mine you even more but promising to warn me about government hacking actually makes me want to setup that extra 2 stage security lol. Leave it to the government to get on my bad side enough that I would actually try and make a strong password and use 2 stage authentication. Course since they are supposed to be protecting me its kind of ironic since they did just that by pissing me off.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Will they also warn if it looks like the US is trying to gain access to your account (either through your devices or accessing their servers)? Or just if Russia and China are trying to do it?

Sorry fb, still not getting my cell number despite the elegant attempts at fear mongering. I'd rather just ditch fb. If facebook is recommending the user simply reset their os then obviously fb is just out to harvest phone numbers off users who haven't previously given it to them. According to security experts if this attack is indeed pulled off and resides in your hard drive then a simple format/os reinstall won't solve the issue. A drive replacement is the only effective measure. Due to the complexity of the attacks it would be more likely to be done on fb's own drives rather than individual users.

http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-breaches/what-you-need-to-know-about-nation-state-hacked-hard-drives-/d/d-id/1319296

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Think this measure is more aimed towards Libyan, Syrian, North Korean etc users whose lives are at risk rather than developed countries like the US that are inconvenienced by the thought of NSA data collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.