Facebook VP Slams Intel, AMD Server Chips

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
[citation][nom]thejerk[/nom]morons code facebook, that's the problem.like others have said, optimize and eat a bag of big ones...[/citation]

when a product sucks, it's not because of "moron coders", it's incompetent management.

I guess you're not a coder, you wouldn't speak like that, maybe you are a manager in the branch? :D

shoota

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
i like how everyone here knows the problem and the solution, how much you wanna make a bet 99% of you tards have no clue what you're talking about?

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]buzznut[/nom]Yeah, because facebook is more demanding than crysis or any other application, it keeps dropping frames because social networking is SO computing intensive. Does anyone remember the old Hustler magazine a@$hole of the month? Not that I've ever read that filth...Someone needs to explain to this jerkoff that facebook is on its way out, its 15 minutes is up.[/citation]

Your an idiot. Seriously what makes you think facebook isnt demanding as hell. Crysis is nothing compaired to what real computers have to do. Personaly i dont see the hype with crysis even in the end user market but o well. Try expanding your mind beyond crappy video games and maybe youll understand those websites practicly need super computers to run them.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
I understand the POWER savings issue.....but these guys are retards....I have3 ran a webserver at home (literally under my desk)

do they REALLY think CPU power is going to help??? CPU POWER is NO GOOD if your internet connection for those servers is already saturated.

Morons need a better connection speed for their web servers. They could have saved TONS of money by doing so.

some may say "but it's needed for the applications" well yeah but that doesn't mean anything if you have a SLOW connection speed between locations.

ARGGGGH!!!!!

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
If he wants processing gains on a OEM box port the server code to a CUDA shader as the processing gains on the gpu dwarf the CPU. Also CUDA tends to have alot more threads then the cpu. However CEO's tend to want turnkey solution if they want that, cough up the extra dough and buy a Nvidia Tesla box.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
if poor processor performance was slowing down the search for a cure for cancer, then i might care... slowing down drunken posting of compromising photos? I DON'T GIVE A SHIT!! stop acting so high an mighty facebook!

fans 6

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
it is a software problem, hardware is always miles ahead of software. And who are they to blame such visionary companies such as intel or AMD i think intel should buy facebook for what that shit star up sites worth, 2 pesos. Dam idiots

G

Intel? AMD? Wrong tool for the job. If they need more power, move up to a more serious server. AIX, HPUX, and Solaris come to mind. Intel and AMD are for cheepo commodity applications. Facebook CIO needs to wake up and get a clue.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
As most said, it's not the cpu. The problem is the sum of all your components. Slow drive will slow down everything, slow internet will slow down your searches, slow memory will slow it down, bad coding, incompetent managers tech kiddies who think they know what you need.

I don't know where the bottleneck is, but I bet the only real bottleneck is the amount of money they want to spend on it. They might have chosen a cheaper solution at some point, thinking by saving their, they might make it up with superhigh end on the other spectrum, but that's just epic fail.

It's better to have a lot of average components then 1 good thing that is held back by all the low grade components. And the internet connection is really important.

Poor tools.

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]mcnuggetofdeath[/nom]Facebook has had issues with outages since before Nehalem launched. The guy is just trying to cover his own ass, and thats not cool. They shouldve dumped more money into infrastructure, rather than redesigning something that already works or lining your own pockets with the craploads of ad revenue they generate. And to use someone elses assesment of how a processor performs within a given situation, and expect it to scale indefinitely is a sign of his incompetency. I hope he gets fired.[/citation]

I can't believe people up'd you on this. I'm sure you have no idea what is going on inside the company of facebook.

I am not a fan of those sites by the way. I only signed up on facebook to get fearnet back on Time Warner and my user name is alsjdf;aksdjf;alskdjflsd

P_haze420

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Seriouly though, Facebook is a backward site. Myspace is a great site because it is open source site where you can control your page better then facebook.

so again, facebook suck ass.

G

facebook is the aol of the 21st century. poor infrastructure ,crappy service, always making changes on a whim, never informing users, arrogant and people are tired of it. the moment a viable alternative evolves that's easier to use and not using proprietary bullshit, people will flock to it.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Likely Facebook is a cluster of webservers connected to a cluster of database servers connected to a cluster of disk arrays. This is a common setup for a very high transaction site. In my experience the bottlenecks with this type of setup has more to do with the disk array and network to feed the data to the db servers and ultimately the webservers.

CPU power at the webserver has little impact. CPU power at the DB server could have more effect (again do you think they wrote thier own DB software or use Oracle or something like that? In which case it's fully multi-threaded already with the proper revision.

The biggest performance increase facebook should look toward would be for huge disk caches, larger clusters of high memory DB servers would increase webserver performance better than fast CPUs.

knutjb

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
VP of Technical Operations Jonathan Heiliger
For such comments from someone in this position is incompetent at best. Poorly written or implemented software can make the even the best hardware look anemic.

When new micro architecture comes out it doesn't mean it will automatically work with or improve the performance of your existing software no matter how good you think your stuff is. As for hardware efficiency, I don't know his background, but it sounds like he's a disgruntled programmer who doesn't get the hardware and OEM business. Hardware is an evolutionary process, very rarely revolutionary, regardless of advertising. I think he is just a cry baby whose in over his head.

dvmoo7

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
humm.. this facebook dumba$$ slams AMD/Intel tech but praises Googles servers. Last Ive heard, Intel actually builds some custom servers for Google.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/intel_google_win/

"Intel's white box server business receives little attention. The chip maker crafts a few different types of systems and will ship them to interested parties. It tends, however, to avoid stealing significant sales from its largest customers.

On the Google front, Intel went out of its way to steal such business. It produced a bespoke server line full of low-power, low-cost components that matched Google's demanding specifications."

I would suspect that AMD did it also when they were the main supplier

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Maybe Google should get into the server business. I could see their name on the side of shipping containers full of super-efficient servers.[/citation]

They do make some servers that you can buy already.

Status
Not open for further replies.