[SOLVED] Factory reset leads to slower gaming pc?

Noor_awsome

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017
Hello, I am wondering if anyone can help me with my current conundrum.

Built my little brother's first gaming pc. However, after 1 week of gaming he factory reset it. Why you may ask? According to him he accidentally clicked a malicious ad on a website and decided to factory reset in order to avoid a computer virus. I assumed my Webroot Antivirus program detect the malicious ad and block the website from loading. He probably believe the big bolded message webroot shows was a virus indication and exited it out before he could read the prompt.

After factory resetting his pc overnight Windows loading up feels slower, refreshing the desktop feels slower, and opening programs feels slower. I decided to test his pc performance on Minecraft. In comparison to my own gaming pc, which is also a budget build I get 3.3k fps on a server. Meanwhile my brother's pc gets 300-1000k fps (lower than expected). In a Minecraft World his pc was struggling averaging 100-300 fps. This made me angry as I initially tested out the pc by gaming on it and it outperformed my own system.

I am not sure what happens when a computer that was custom built gets factory reset. I reinstalled Nvidia Geforce Experience, not sure if I need to do for other drivers when I first built the system. Does a factory reset effect the settings for system parts such as the gpu? What happen?

Here are our specs:

Brother's PCMy PC
i3-10100i3-8100
Gigabyte GTX 1050 2gb Windforce OCGigabyte GTX 1050 2gb Windforce OC
8 gb RAM16 gb RAM
2 TB HDD1 TB HDD

Solution
you will also need to reinstall all motherboard drivers.
the motherboard manufacturer product support page will offer all of the latest drivers & utilities needed.

a Windows Factory Reset just resets Windows and settings back to the initial install.
all 3rd party drivers & personalized settings will be removed.
the motherboard manufacturer product support page will offer all of the latest drivers & utilities needed.

a Windows Factory Reset just resets Windows and settings back to the initial install.

Reactions: Noor_awsome
Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What is meant by "factory reset" here? A custom-made PC doesn't come with anything to reset to, so there's nothing to restore "to" factory status; this term is generally used with a pre-built PC which will come with Windows installed already and whatever shovelware the seller throws on there. A proper install after a virus means a full, fresh install, which means formatting the drive completely and installing Windows pre-boot.

So, what exactly was done here? Can't really know where to go next if I don't know where you currently are.

Noor_awsome

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017

Thank you very much! I reinstalled the motherboard drivers and rechecked its minecraft performance. It is currently hitting fps that I was expecting. Everything else including opening programs and loading windows are loading smoothly now.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost