News FADU Technology Announces Speedy 14 GB/s Gen 5 SSD

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Yeah, games and game engines and software definitely need to catch up to this, because besides PS5, we don't even have PC (or XSX) games that fully take advantage of the Gen 3 nvme SSDs.... and now we're talking about Gen 5.

I did not even buy a Gen 3 one because I see no use for it in gaming. When the 1st PC games will start using them and be built on RTX IO and MS Direct Storage, then I'll need one. I suspect the Gen 3 one will be the minimum spec, so no need for Gen 4 or 5. Baby steps...

Just like DDR5, I'll wait until the price goes down. But I love that the tech is setting the bar higher! The 2,400 MT/s is a pretty sizeable jump over the previous high of 1,600.

What I can't tell from the article is if FADU is using MLC/TLC to get those high numbers.

UnCertainty08

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
Yeah, games and game engines and software definitely need to catch up to this, because besides PS5, we don't even have PC (or XSX) games that fully take advantage of the Gen 3 nvme SSDs.... and now we're talking about Gen 5.

I did not even buy a Gen 3 one because I see no use for it in gaming. When the 1st PC games will start using them and be built on RTX IO and MS Direct Storage, then I'll need one. I suspect the Gen 3 one will be the minimum spec, so no need for Gen 4 or 5. Baby steps...
Games may not take full advantage yet but, installing and moving/copying games and other large files/folders definitely benefit from Gen 3. I still have a 10900KF on an ASUS Maximus XII Apex so no gen 4 yet. Having gen 5, especially ASUS including gen 5 PCIE add-on card is pointless for now.

Gen 5.0 PCIE for GPU is pretty pointless as well. 3090's fully function on gen 3.0 x8.
I seriously doubt even next gen GPU will take full advantage of PCIE 4.0 x16. Let alone gen 5.0 that rumors are suggesting Lovelace will support.
Most Z690 motherboards will probably end up being replaced before the owner is using a GPU that requires PCIE gen 5.0.

But it's nice they are upgrading so that devs and manufacturer's can start working on future tech.
For now these upgrades all use the same connectors and are backwards compatible so it's not like they are trying to force people to upgrade like with CPU socket changes.

InvalidError

Titan
Gen 5.0 PCIE for GPU is pretty pointless as well. 3090's fully function on gen 3.0 x8.
Meanwhile, 4GB GPUs are heavily crippled by slow access to system RAM on 3.0x8, probably still crippled at 4.0x8 but can't know by how much since the only 4GB PCIe4 GPU currently in existence is the RX5500 which only does x8.

4.0x16 on 4GB GPUs, especially ones more powerful than an RX5500 or GTX1650S, would be a big deal since those are the only ones people may be able to get under $400 new for the foreseeable future.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Games may not take full advantage yet but, installing and moving/copying games and other large files/folders definitely benefit from Gen 3.
Sure, I agree, but I don't do that often enough to warrant an upgrade now.

I suspect by the time I will need it, the prices of Gen 3 will be lower, but you never know with this "world situation"... so who know...

All I know is if I buy a Gen 3 now, I will just use it's life span for nothing and by the time I will actually use it every day in gaming it will be old and used, without me benefiting from it until then.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
That argument doesn't make much sense when 3.0x4 NVMe SSDs are almost the same price as SATA ones. It is 4.0 drives that carry a significant premium.
There was a point this year when they were as cheap as SATA, but now even Gen 3 is more expensive. So I'm in no rush to buy them and they should drop in price again...

Depending on when we will actually need nvme for games, I could possibly have a new PC by then and have Gen4, depends on how many years will it take.

UnCertainty08

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
There was a point this year when they were as cheap as SATA, but now even Gen 3 is more expensive. So I'm in no rush to buy them and they should drop in price again...

Depending on when we will actually need nvme for games, I could possibly have a new PC by then and have Gen4, depends on how many years will it take.

In Canada SATA SSD & M.2 Gen 3.0 SSD are pretty much the same price. With different sale prices, there are times when M.2 are a cheaper than SATA. Comparing the same models, such as WD Blue SATA vs M.2 and other's that are directly comparable. For example as of writing WD Blue 1TB M.2 is cheaper than SATA at memexp.com here in canada.

USAFRet

Titan
In Canada SATA SSD & M.2 Gen 3.0 SSD are pretty much the same price. With different sale prices, there are times when M.2 are a cheaper than SATA. Comparing the same models, such as WD Blue SATA vs M.2 and other's that are directly comparable. For example as of writing WD Blue 1TB M.2 is cheaper than SATA at memexp.com here in canada.
Given price parity, and a known compatible system, there is little reason to go with a SATA SSD.
Those 2 conditions are not always the case.

InvalidError

Titan
Given price parity, and a known compatible system, there is little reason to go with a SATA SSD.
Those 2 conditions are not always the case.
Since a remotely decent NVMe 3.0x4 SSD is still going to be 2-3X as fast as the fastest SATA3 SSD possible, NVMe is still the more preferable option where possible even for a $10 premium.

The main reason I can still imagine picking SATA over NVMe when an NVMe slot is available and the price difference may even be in NVMe's favor would be for a portable drive or other circumstances where I need some sort of easy-swap capability as swapping NVMes on the motherboard is a PITA, especially when the spare slot is under the GPU HSF.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
I'm only interested to get one of the best Gen 3 SSDs, one of these: Samsung 980, Crucial P5, Seagate FireCuda 510 or WD Black SN750.

All of them have Read/Write speeds over 3000 MB/s and are more expensive than the SATA SSDs (which are much lower performance, obviously).

The one you listed is a pretty mediocre/bad nvme Gen3 SSD. Even if it were the same price as SATA I would not need it. I either get one of the best or none.

One of those listed by me is equal in performance to the Gen4 in XSX console, despite being a Gen3. Because the Gen4 in XSX is pretty mediocre actually.

So the minimum for games will be that (when that feature comes to PC games), it's a logical assumption that I'm using.

Off topic: Copy pasting text in this forum messes with the text size and I can't get the default size back so this text looking like this is not intentional....

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Currently, there is little difference in the various flavors of SSD for gaming performance.
Even going down to SATA III performance.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YoRKQy-UO4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA
You clearly did not read my other posts, where I said I'm on SATA SSD now and I don't plat to upgrade soon and when I do it'll be Gen3 not 4 or 5, because the minimum will be enough.

That will happen only when PC games will utilize MS Direct Storage or RTX IO. I'm talking about streaming assents and all that, not just faster loading what we have now. Something only PS5 and PS5 games have for now... PC and Xbox need to catch up.

So yes, now it does not matter, I've already said that too.

UnCertainty08

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
I'm only interested to get one of the best Gen 3 SSDs, one of these: Samsung 980, Crucial P5, Seagate FireCuda 510 or WD Black SN750.

All of them have Read/Write speeds over 3000 MB/s and are more expensive than the SATA SSDs (which are much lower performance, obviously).

The one you listed is a pretty mediocre/bad nvme Gen3 SSD. Even if it were the same price as SATA I would not need it. I either get one of the best or none.

One of those listed by me is equal in performance to the Gen4 in XSX console, despite being a Gen3. Because the Gen4 in XSX is pretty mediocre actually.

So the minimum for games will be that (when that feature comes to PC games), it's a logical assumption that I'm using.

Off topic: Copy pasting text in this forum messes with the text size and I can't get the default size back so this text looking like this is not intentional....
I just referred to one example because I saw the prices a day or prior to making the comment and could remember it off the top of my head.
But if you want to say I'm wrong than I did check and currently at the one of the largest computer sales stores in Canada the Samsung 980 PCIE 3.0 1TB is $125CDN, the WD 750 SE 1TB PCIE 4.0 is $125CDN.
They don't even sell the Seagate Firecuda 510 anymore, they don't sell the P5. The P5 is listed on Amazon.ca currently for $130 CDN.

So as I and the mod InvalidError tried to tell you there is no price premium for PCIE 3.0 SSD's, even some 4.0 drives are just as cheap as SATA drives.

As those videos show there isn't much difference in game performance. I have M.2, SATA and HDD in my computer all in RAID 0, the biggest difference I notice for games is installing them. Playing is no difference.

The over 3000MB/s claims are always listed as "up to". You're not going to get that in practice. Can someone get a benchmark to show those numbers, sure under the right conditions. They will not always bench at those speeds.
The only drive you listed that actually claims over 3000MB/s write speed is the Firecuda and that's only for the 2TB model. The rest of the drives do not claim write speeds over 3000MB/s.

The firecuda 510 from the Seagate spec sheet
Specifications 2TB 1TB 500 GB 250 GB
Sequential Write (Max, MB/s), 128KB 3200 3100 2500 1300

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
I just referred to one example because I saw the prices a day or prior to making the comment and could remember it off the top of my head.
But if you want to say I'm wrong than I did check and currently at the one of the largest computer sales stores in Canada the Samsung 980 PCIE 3.0 1TB is $125CDN, the WD 750 SE 1TB PCIE 4.0 is $125CDN.
They don't even sell the Seagate Firecuda 510 anymore, they don't sell the P5. The P5 is listed on Amazon.ca currently for $130 CDN.

So as I and the mod InvalidError tried to tell you there is no price premium for PCIE 3.0 SSD's, even some 4.0 drives are just as cheap as SATA drives.

As those videos show there isn't much difference in game performance. I have M.2, SATA and HDD in my computer all in RAID 0, the biggest difference I notice for games is installing them. Playing is no difference.

The over 3000MB/s claims are always listed as "up to". You're not going to get that in practice. Can someone get a benchmark to show those numbers, sure under the right conditions. They will not always bench at those speeds.
The only drive you listed that actually claims over 3000MB/s write speed is the Firecuda and that's only for the 2TB model. The rest of the drives do not claim write speeds over 3000MB/s.

The firecuda 510 from the Seagate spec sheet
Specifications 2TB 1TB 500 GB 250 GB
Sequential Write (Max, MB/s), 128KB 3200 3100 2500 1300
If you have read the post just above yours, you would have seen what you wrote is redundant. I mostly agree already, I did from the start... that's why I don't even plan to upgrade soon.

The only part that I don't agree is price, because it's region dependent and in my part of EU prices are different than in other places. Nothing more to talk about.

UnCertainty08

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
I was addressing your reply to me, the message I quoted. You said I was wrong about pcie 3.0 SSD not being more expensive than SATA that are not "pretty bad".