failed bios update HELP!!

sks220

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2013
i have an msi 990fxa-gd80v2 motherboard and i tried to update the bios to the latest version and it failed and now my computer wont even boot. my motherboard flashes f2, f9, ff, 19, 2b, 3b then back to f2 and it beeps twice. PLEASE HELP ME WHAT DO I DO!?

Solution

sure. i had trouble finding the non exe file versions of the bios firmware but i found them at this site https://www.dropbox.com/s/xv8o4x43wzx3f3j/B_D.rar?dl=0 (all the msi 990fxa-GD80vs firmware) and i went through them individually with a flash drive until i got a screen that let me flash the bios and now my computer is back to normal.

sks220

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2013

no i didnt i used the exe from the msi website and now i see that was a terrible idea, ill do what you just said and get back to you p.s i accidentally hit best answer on your answer so lets hope it works lol

There may be hope, most new motherboard have a usb flash back procedure for when things go wrong.

If your motherboard supports this option.
There will be a button that you find on the motherboard that you will need to press.

What you must do first of all is get a usb flash drive, then you download the correct bios for your model number and the brand of your motherboard.

You then extract the bios file from the zipped or compressed archive, to the route of the usb flash drive.
One done, if you check or consult the manual for the motherboard.

It will tell you what usb port the flash drive must be connected to or inserted to before your system is powered on.

The manual will detail, either what combination of keys must be held down on your keyboard when you first power the system on to perform a usb flashing of the bios to fix it.

Or it will detail information about the usb flash back option button found on the motherboard, and how to work it in order to recover the bios of the motherboard back to a working condition.
SkS220.

For your motherboard look up the Mflash feature listed in the manual for the motherboard to recover the bios SkS.

Msi and Asus motherboards have this feature.
You can stop panicking now.

https://www.msi.com/page/biosflash

sks220

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2013

thanks but im still panicking here, i cant find anything you just said in my manual and i still dont know what to do :(

sks220

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2013

that doesnt help, i dont get anything on my screen, my board just stays showing f2 when i plug in a flash drive with the correct bios version

sks220

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2013
<<Entire post removed for inappropriate language. This is a family friendly site. Please keep it clean.>>

thanks guys for your help but none of your solutions worked, i managed to fix it myself.

sks220

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2013

sure. i had trouble finding the non exe file versions of the bios firmware but i found them at this site https://www.dropbox.com/s/xv8o4x43wzx3f3j/B_D.rar?dl=0 (all the msi 990fxa-GD80vs firmware) and i went through them individually with a flash drive until i got a screen that let me flash the bios and now my computer is back to normal.

Solution

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

I asked you to share your solution because I've had the same problem at least a couple of times and bricked 2 motherboards because of that. Now I know I could've saved them and a lot of grief in the process. Thank you!

"i had trouble finding the non exe file versions of the bios firmware"-

---well you never motioned that to us so we could help you find the right file but Shaun did say---

"You then extract the bios file from the zipped or compressed archive, to the route of the usb flash drive.
One done, if you check or consult the manual for the motherboard."

we were not really wrong. just failed to get enough info that you were having issues finding a non compressed file.

Deshan

Honorable
Dec 29, 2015

non exe file is the CAP file right?