[SOLVED] Failed/corrupted HDD? Seagate Archive HDD ST8000AS0002

Feb 27, 2020
Hi there.
Woke up this morning to my media/file server being unresponsive. It is an older ThinkServer TS140 that's just running a Win 7 install.

After forcefully rebooting it, it kept hanging/freezing up on the Intel Rapid storage raid config screen. Unable to do anything, even access BIOS, I discovered by trial and error method of disconnecting drives that my "Seagate Archive HDD ST8000AS0002" seemed to be the culprit. HDD datasheet

I managed to get it to boot with the drive by unplugging the other drives/RAIDs(except boot drive ofc). However the drive was not detected in windows and Disk Management displays it as "Unknown", "Not Initialized" and having only 3.86GB Unallocated space(Its an 8TB drive).

Pulled it out and put it in my desktop (no problems booting with it) and Disk Management shows the same thing:
o2cRuBG.png

Is the drive dead? Any way to revive it? I am fairly certain it does not contain any vital "must save" information(hence it wasn't backed up), but it was about 1/2-3/4 full with my media library, which would be a pain to reacquire again.

Any help and recommendations are greatly welcome.

Solution
you would need a disk scanning software or command to check disks outside of Windows, before it starts.

maybe try to run data recovery software like Recuva or Data Recovery Wizard, something that may be able to initialize and access the data for recovery if the drive is actually failing.
Feb 27, 2020
run ScanDisk and/or other disk check utilites to check for any fixable errors.
Ehm, I am unsure how I would go about running a ScanDisk on a disk that is not initialized.

I have tried initializing the disk both in Disk Management, as well as with EaseUS Partition Master(following guides on how to recover partition). Keep getting "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" and "Unknown Error" respectively. I am guessing this has something to do with it only recognising 3.86GB unallocated space instead of the full 8TB.

you would need a disk scanning software or command to check disks outside of Windows, before it starts.

maybe try to run data recovery software like Recuva or Data Recovery Wizard, something that may be able to initialize and access the data for recovery if the drive is actually failing.

Solution
Feb 27, 2020
Tried running Seagates own diagnostic tools, both windows app and bootable version. All tests just unceremoniously fail without any indication of cause.

I am guessing the controller or something has failed, as the drive isnt even reporting basic information like temperature, Power-On hours or even the correct sector size. Guess I can relegate it to paper weight and order some new drives :(