Failed CPU upgrade

Reznik

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Hi,
I have an old Acer Aspire store bought pc, model M3802 with 8Gb ram and a Q8300 cpu. I installed a GTX 1050ti card, and it's alright for gaming but the bottleneck is at the cpu. The motherboard is G43T-AM V.2 with a locked bios so I can't OC but I wanted to get the best processor I can use for this mb. Debated between the Q6600 and the Q9550, pulled the trigger on the 9550 from ailbabba for $27..wait for like a month on shipping..new cpu arrives and I slap it in with some fresh paste, press the power button and literally nothing happened. No fans, leds, POST beep, nothing. I used the Tom's guide for checking the failure to boot, all the connections are good and tight so reluctantly, I open her back up and revert back to the Q8300.
As soon as I hit the power button there was a snap and a POP! electricity sound but the computer booted just as before I did the swap. I was concerned about that noise but I ran some benchmarks and all temps and everything were normal like always with the 8300. I closed those monitoring programs and went in the kitchen to make some lunch, and when I came back, the computer had gone into sleep mode. As soon as I shook the mouse to wake it, there was a super loud pop from the PC, I could visually see a bright spark illuminating for a second and the whole thing let the smoke out. the leds went dead and the dang thing was still smoking even more than before when it was turned on so I yanked the cable out from the back the psu. Now this psu was not the original that came with the pc, but it is a 5+ year old Basiq 500w model. I have since replaced it with a fancy 500w Corsair and everything seems to be running a lot better now, like a lot better....but I still have the Q8300 installed. I am tempted to try the Q9550 again but cannot afford to replace the psu if it burns out once more. I am finally getting to my question:
Is it possible that it was just a coincidence that my psu died when I changed out the cpu?
Did I buy a cpu that was incompatible with this mb? I checked the specs and this should work but idk? Maybe the Q9550 was DOA from the start, it's not new- I don't believe it is because of the scratches on the lid.
Anyhoo, thanks for reading this and any info from the gurus would be appreciated!

Solution
They are both 95W TDP CPUs that run on 1333MHz FSB. They both should work.

I would suspect your old PSU just went bad. I'd try the Q9550 again. If your new PSU does happen to go bad like the old one, then use the warranty.

Reznik

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Thank you for your quick reply.
If the old psu went bad when running the Q9550, then why would it still boot up when going back to the Q8300?
I mean, It popped and snapped but it still worked for awhile vs with the Q9550 that had no power whatsoever