[SOLVED] Failed Hard Drive with confusing ePSA Test Results

Oct 29, 2020
I recently dug out an 8-year old pre-built Alienware X51 PC that I had stopped using about 3 years ago. When attempting to boot it, the hard drive makes a loud clicking sound about 10 times, and the message on screen reads "internal hard disk drive not found." When I run the ePSA it reports a total success, but shows NA next to the Hard Drive. In the Results tab, it says the following for the Hard Drive:

** Hard Drive 0-0-0 - DST Short Test **
Test Results: Not Applicable

Is it still possible for me to create a Recovery Drive from this hard drive, or is it totally shot?
I have a new hard drive to replace it with but my understanding is that I need either a recovery drive or a copy of Windows in order to boot with it.

Solution
Gotcha. It was Windows 7. Do I have any alternatives to buying a new OS?
Since you almost certainly did not create a Factory Reset USB or DVD set, and given that you can ONLY get that from AlienWare....you might see if it will magically update itself to a valid Win 10.

You can install Win 10 without a license purchase.
It might activate itself. It might not.
Costs $0 to try.
Sounds like the drive is failing. There are a couple of different methods to get the drive to work for a limited time (such as freezing), but I am not familiar enough with these methods to recommend an exact procedure. Hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in.

Oct 29, 2020
I would also try booting a parted magic live cd and run the smart tests there.

I think the hard drive is definitely failing, what I'm wondering is if it's past the point of no return and I just have to buy a new copy of Windows. I'll give Parted Magic a shot, I just need to get a flash drive. Thanks for the recommendation!

USAFRet

Titan
Gotcha. It was Windows 7. Do I have any alternatives to buying a new OS?
Since you almost certainly did not create a Factory Reset USB or DVD set, and given that you can ONLY get that from AlienWare....you might see if it will magically update itself to a valid Win 10.

Costs $0 to try.

Reactions: WarpedSilencer
Solution
Oct 29, 2020

Costs $0 to try.

Thanks for the info! I'm downloading the Win10 installer to a flash drive now and I'll give it a shot. Would you happen to know if the Win 7 product key that came with the PC originally would work with 10, or even to reinstall 7?

Oct 29, 2020
If you've got the coa for win7, it will definitely work with the os image download from dell.
I downloaded and installed Dell's Recovery Tool, but when prompted to search by Service Tag or Express Service Code I get no results from either. Haven't found a lot of answers but it seems that may only be for Win 10.

Oct 29, 2020
Thanks all for the help - The Win10 fresh installation worked fine, and somehow I was able to use the Win7 product key to activate it. Needless to say, I'm creating a recovery drive immediately!