[SOLVED] Failing At Installing

lindylex

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
I have a Dell Inspiron Model : P58F with the touch screen.

These are the specs :

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0781:55a3 SanDisk Corp. SanDisk 3.2Gen1
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f3:2368 Elan Microelectronics Corp. Touchscreen
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0a2a Intel Corp. Bluetooth wireless interface
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:58c2 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Integrated Webcam HD
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 620 (rev 02)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 02)
00:13.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Integrated Sensor Hub (rev 21)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem (rev 21)
00:15.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 21)
00:15.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 21)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI #1 (rev 21)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 21)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 21)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3165 (rev 79)

Windows 7 is stuck at "A media driver your computer needs is missing...."

It would be nice to know what drive it needs.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Your machine is from 2018. There is no POSSIBLE reason why it should run slow with Windows 10, since it was DESIGNED TO BE USED with Windows 10 to begin with. Your problem, if there is one, is due to something you have done OR are doing, or, a hardware issue because something is not functioning properly. No other reason.

Try a clean install. If you have tried a clean install, try doing a clean install PROPERLY. As outlined here (And when done, be SURE to go and get the RIGHT drivers from your product's or motherboard's explicit manufacturer product page. Do NOT use "driver updaters" or any other kind of software. ONLY use the drivers available explicitly from the motherboard or prebuilt system product page. ONLY):

...​
I have a Dell Inspiron Model : P58F with the touch screen.

These are the specs :

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0781:55a3 SanDisk Corp. SanDisk 3.2Gen1
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f3:2368 Elan Microelectronics Corp. Touchscreen
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0a2a Intel Corp. Bluetooth wireless interface
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:58c2 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Integrated Webcam HD
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 620 (rev 02)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 02)
00:13.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Integrated Sensor Hub (rev 21)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem (rev 21)
00:15.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 21)
00:15.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 21)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI #1 (rev 21)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 21)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 21)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3165 (rev 79)

Windows 7 is stuck at "A media driver your computer needs is missing...."

It would be nice to know what drive it needs.

Thanks in advance.
Hello there!!
I've encountered this issue many times while installing windows 7, it used to get fixed by using different USB port on the system or flashing windows in the USB again.

Your problem is that you are trying to install Windows 7 on a device that doesn't have proper Windows 7 drivers. That device was intended to be used with Windows 10 and the chances are good that Windows 7 doesn't, and won't, have full chipset or other integrated device drivers which is outlined by the fact that you are getting this message currently. There may be a work around or a custom driver but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Besides which, there are really no compelling reasons to be using Windows 7 with this device in any case.

What is the ACTUAL, FULL, model number of your laptop? P58F is only a partial model number. Usually this can be found on an ID sticker on the back of the laptop or beneath the battery in the battery compartment, if it has one.

lindylex

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Your problem is that you are trying to install Windows 7 on a device that doesn't have proper Windows 7 drivers. That device was intended to be used with Windows 10 and the chances are good that Windows 7 doesn't, and won't, have full chipset or other integrated device drivers which is outlined by the fact that you are getting this message currently. There may be a work around or a custom driver but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Besides which, there are really no compelling reasons to be using Windows 7 with this device in any case.

What is the ACTUAL, FULL, model number of your laptop? P58F is only a partial model number. Usually this can be found on an ID sticker on the back of the laptop or beneath the battery in the battery compartment, if it has one.

This hardware runs very slow with Windows 10 on it. Windows 7 historically runs faster for me on my older hardware. Attached is a photo of the information on the back of the computer. Currently will delay opening the laptop to look under the battery.

failWin7.JPG

Last edited:
Your machine is from 2018. There is no POSSIBLE reason why it should run slow with Windows 10, since it was DESIGNED TO BE USED with Windows 10 to begin with. Your problem, if there is one, is due to something you have done OR are doing, or, a hardware issue because something is not functioning properly. No other reason.

Try a clean install. If you have tried a clean install, try doing a clean install PROPERLY. As outlined here (And when done, be SURE to go and get the RIGHT drivers from your product's or motherboard's explicit manufacturer product page. Do NOT use "driver updaters" or any other kind of software. ONLY use the drivers available explicitly from the motherboard or prebuilt system product page. ONLY):

How to associate your windows 10 license with a Microsoft account

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

Windows build 1607 (Or newer) and activation after a hardware change

and in case you should ever need to do a CLEAN install of Windows, this guide will help to ensure it gets done properly.

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10, the RIGHT way

The problem with the "restore" image on laptops and prebuilt OEM systems, is that when you use THAT, you also put all of the preinstalled bloatware back on there as well. We've seen such high numbers of cases where brand new systems could barely hold their own necks up due to the weight of all the bloatware that they ran as though they were terribly infected with malware when they actually only had piles of useless "optimization" and other bundled software installed.

I ALWAYS recommend doing a clean install whenever there's a question of which way to go. That includes every time Microsoft releases a major update. Microsoft does not have a very good track record of making transitions between upgrades or major updates terribly smooth, seamless or trouble free. Usually, more often than not, problems are created that did not exist before the update or upgrade. Not in every case to be sure, but often enough to warrant avoiding the process when it is at all possible or at the very least, every other major update/upgrade.

Continuing to simply upgrade/update or reinstall the factory bloatware often just continues to put the same problems that existed from the start, right back where you left them prior to the process. I would never allow one of my machines, or any machine I work on, to go longer than two major updates without doing a clean install to the newest available Windows ISO release, and usually, unless there are circumstances that make it terribly inconvenient to do so, every major update.

If you wish to DO a clean install, you can do so as outlined above.​

Solution

lindylex

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
] BEST AND NOT DESIRED SOLUTION [
I tried everything I could to install Windows 7 and it failed. There was just not way to get basic install to boot up even after I downloaded all the drivers I could find. I just reinstalled a clean version of Windows 10.