Question Failing memtest on less-than XMP settings, worth it to RMA?

p46

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
Hello all.

For some context, I recently built a new PC. The (relevant) specs include an i9 13900k and 64gb of G.Skill DDR5 7200. I'm running on a Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master motherboard, which is specced at handling up to DDR5-8000. The memory is comprised of four sticks total, two kits of two 16gb sticks. I'm aware it's not the world's best practice to combine two kits of memory, but they are bought together and are listed as being manufactured in the same month of the same year, both Feb '23.

Anyways, when I initially built the system, I was testing with just one of the 32gb kits. I was able to simply enable XMP and get the 7200MT speed advertised with no obvious errors. I didn't run a full memtest on the 32gb, however, after adding the second kit shortly after and attempting to load XMP on the full 64gb, it was a nightmare. Running a memtest was listing 300+ errors within 30 minutes. Multiple BSODs a day. Boot failures. Etc. By the way, the prebuilt XMP profile is 7200MT with 34-45-45-115 timings at 1.4v.

I reverted to the SPD profile and attempted to run a memtest again. It was listing no errors within an hour or so. I should have let it run fully, so I am going to run a full memtest on the SPD profile tonight to gather if there are still errors. If there are, it'll answer my question for sure on whether or not to RMA.

After this, I spent some time in the BIOS making a new custom XMP profile. Luckily it was significantly easier than my past experiences, thanks to Gigabyte. The gist of it is 6400MT with 36-40-40-80 timings at 1.35v. I can post the full settings if necessary. It seemed fairly stable on the desktop and wasn't causing any obvious problems in the couple hours I spent on it. I decided to run a memtest this morning and leave it going while I am at work. I just got back the results and it's listing a failure with 1 error in 4 passes.

My current settings are not even close to what was advertised. I'm also aware that the i9 13900k only officially supports up to 5600MT. I think technically, the overall performance outshines the default XMP profile loaded on the memory despite the lower frequency, but I still cannot run stable at the advertised speeds. Even with a custom profile about halfway between the SPD profile and the default XMP profile, I am still receiving an error on a full memtest. Is it worth it to RMA? Is there anything I can try to do differently? I do know my way around memory overclocking but I'm far from experienced, so any help or suggestions are appreciated.

p46

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
Hey there,

Have you updated the bios at all in this process? What version are you running? As you have a new mobo/CPU, it's best to update to each bios revision as they come out, as they often bring bug fixes, and mem compatibility.

I have yes, I've updated to ver. F6c (released Mar. 2, 2023) which does include some memory optimizations, but unfortunately does not fix anything in regards to the errors. These tests were ran after flashing the BIOS to the most recent version.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I have yes, I've updated to ver. F6c (released Mar. 2, 2023) which does include some memory optimizations, but unfortunately does not fix anything in regards to the errors. These tests were ran after flashing the BIOS to the most recent version.
Did you clear CMOS after each update? If not. then you need to do this.

You could also try bumping the SOC value up a little in support of the IMC/Mem controller. Another alternative is to manually set the timings/voltage etc. Be sure to put the voltage at 1.4v and everything other than the 4-5 main timings on auto. Then boot up and see what happenss. It may be possible to get them to work together at rated speeds.

Which exact model DIMMs did you buy? Can you link them? Sometimes dual ranked DIMMS can have issues with mobo's/CPU combo's.

Are you able to tell exactly which DIMMs work as rated? If so, then you could RMA the other set. However, you'd then be taking a chance on what you get, and it likely won't work with the current ones.

If it were me, I would RMA both kits, and get a single 2 x 32gb matched kit, and be done with the messing around.

Here's a list of DIMMs on the QVL for your mobo: Z790 AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Choosing one of these sets, ensures they have been tested to work together.

p46

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
Did you clear CMOS after each update? If not. then you need to do this.

You could also try bumping the SOC value up a little in support of the IMC/Mem controller. Another alternative is to manually set the timings/voltage etc. Be sure to put the voltage at 1.4v and everything other than the 4-5 main timings on auto. Then boot up and see what happenss. It may be possible to get them to work together at rated speeds.

Which exact model DIMMs did you buy? Can you link them? Sometimes dual ranked DIMMS can have issues with mobo's/CPU combo's.

Are you able to tell exactly which DIMMs work as rated? If so, then you could RMA the other set. However, you'd then be taking a chance on what you get, and it likely won't work with the current ones.

If it were me, I would RMA both kits, and get a single 2 x 32gb matched kit, and be done with the messing around.

Here's a list of DIMMs on the QVL for your mobo: Z790 AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Choosing one of these sets, ensures they have been tested to work together.

Thanks for the well-written reply. To answer each of your points in order:
I don't recall fully clearing CMOS after each BIOS update. However, I believe it may have done so on it's own as my BIOS settings were reverted to default. I can definitely manually do so, however.

I did try upping the SOC voltage with XMP enabled at one point, which caused the system not to post. I did not trial-and-error too much with the voltages.

I've double checked and the memory kits I have (https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb/p/N82E16820374436?Item=N82E16820374436) with a model number of F5-7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK are listed as compatible on the memory compatibility page you linked.

As for which specific DIMMs work as rated, I cannot say for sure. Each memtest takes approx. 4-5 hours and I have not had the time yet to one-by-one test each DIMM.
My to-do list as far as testing is as follows:
  • Test both kits on default SPD profile
  • Test "Kit 1" on XMP
  • Test "Kit 2" on XMP
I could test one-by-one, but running a full test for each DIMM with both profiles is definitely time-consuming, to say the least.

If I still can't find anything conclusive but still run into issues, I think you're probably right about opting for an RMA and then getting a 2x32gb kit. The only problem then is I won't have filled DIMM slots on my motherboard which doesn't look as cool. :p But, I'd prefer a functional system over a pretty one that doesn't work.

Thanks for the well-written reply. To answer each of your points in order:
I don't recall fully clearing CMOS after each BIOS update. However, I believe it may have done so on it's own as my BIOS settings were reverted to default. I can definitely manually do so, however.
Yes, do manually rule it out. At default after the update it 'looks' as if the bios is defaulted. But remnants of microcode can linger, which is why it's good to do, to rule it out.

I've double checked and the memory kits I have (https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb/p/N82E16820374436?Item=N82E16820374436) with a model number of F5-7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK are listed as compatible on the memory compatibility page you linked.
That rules that out too.

I could test one-by-one, but running a full test for each DIMM with both profiles is definitely time-consuming, to say the least.

Yes, unless you do want to RMA them to leave this in the dust.

If I still can't find anything conclusive but still run into issues, I think you're probably right about opting for an RMA and then getting a 2x32gb kit.

Yes, this is possibly a way out. With 4 DIMM slots populated, it can require tinkering around to get them to work, and often at slower speeds.

One other thing to try is to Set all Mem options on auto, and start at lower speeds and work upward. So start at maybe 5600, and work your way up in straps to higher speeds. Testing with memtest after each change. I know how much of a pain in the butt that is, but you want to be sure before spending more money,

p46

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
Yes, do manually rule it out. At default after the update it 'looks' as if the bios is defaulted. But remnants of microcode can linger, which is why it's good to do, to rule it out.

That rules that out too.

Yes, unless you do want to RMA them to leave this in the dust.

Yes, this is possibly a way out. With 4 DIMM slots populated, it can require tinkering around to get them to work, and often at slower speeds.

One other thing to try is to Set all Mem options on auto, and start at lower speeds and work upward. So start at maybe 5600, and work your way up in straps to higher speeds. Testing with memtest after each change. I know how much of a pain in the butt that is, but you want to be sure before spending more money,

Good point. I'll reset the CMOS tonight and give it another test. My other problem with opting for a 2x32gb kit is the fact they are hardly sold at higher frequencies and often times seem to have a much higher CAS latency. This is probably just due to DDR5 being pretty new technology still...but with the rest of the system being so overkill I had wanted to memory to be the same.

I don't really have a problem with not running memory at the full 7200MT but it is a bit annoying to find that they are getting such horrible amounts of errors at the advertised speed. Clearly I need to run some more tests, though, to find out to what extent the errors persist.

I'll likely update after I find out some more information

p46

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
As for an update, here it goes:

I cleared CMOS and ran a memtest overnight on the full 64gb at factory SPD settings, 4800MT at CL40 (lol) and it gave no errors. Whew. This morning I also removed one of the sets of memory and I ran a memtest on the XMP profile at the advertised 7200MT at CL34. It just finished a few minutes ago and it also gave no errors.

I still need to run the final memtest of the second kit at the advertised 7200MT, but I'm guessing the problem lies somewhere with the high capacity not being able to run at the higher frequencies. I have a feeling the kits of memory themselves are fine, and they seem to play together fine as well, but not 64gb at the advertised speeds.

If that is the case, then I will likely return these kits and pick up a 64gb kit. I'll need to sacrifice a bit of speed as the highest frequency 64gb kit I can find through G.Skill is only 6400MT, but that is better than having an unstable machine. I could also opt for the 6600MT kit of Corsair Dominator. The Dominator has better timings anyways, it seems.

you should triple check it, because that QVL list says that your ram modules arent compatible with four modules, one or two modules are listed as compatible

compatibility means plug and play, no other tweaking to make them work

p46

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
you should triple check it, because that QVL list says that your ram modules arent compatible with four modules, one or two modules are listed as compatible

compatibility means plug and play, no other tweaking to make them work

That's true, I missed that. Either way I'm thinking that I'll just return both kits and pick up a set of the 64gb Corsair 6600. I wish their Dominator series was in stock anywhere on the internet but it's not... I could go with the Vengeance but I'm really not a fan of the Vengeance design.

I also anticipate having some trouble returning one of the kits to Newegg because I was an idiot and threw out the original box.

All around tough break situation.

That's true, I missed that. Either way I'm thinking that I'll just return both kits and pick up a set of the 64gb Corsair 6600. I wish their Dominator series was in stock anywhere on the internet but it's not... I could go with the Vengeance but I'm really not a fan of the Vengeance design.

I also anticipate having some trouble returning one of the kits to Newegg because I was an idiot and threw out the original box.

All around tough break situation.
Ah, that's a pity about the box.

Yes, as an early adaptor, sometimes these things take a new bios/firmware to correct minor issues. (Edited)

Last edited:

p46

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
Ah, that's a pity about the box.

Yes, as an early adaptor, sometimes these things take a new AGESA firmware to correct minor issues.

True, or whatever Intel's equivalent is (FSP, was it?). Newegg actually just restocked the Dominator memory I was looking at so I went ahead and ordered it. Only sits at 6600MT, but all the DIMMs are at least guaranteed to play nice together and the timings are much better than what I could barely squeak out of the G.Skill. The Corsair gets something like 32-39-39-76 at 6600MT. Well, the latency isn't the greatest on DDR5 yet, but if I'm lucky I'll see if I can cut it down to CL30.

I also called up Newegg and pleaded my case about the missing box. They said as long as it wasn't damaged and I could ship it back to them safely, I can return it no problem. I had them put in a note about the missing box so the bases should be covered. I have the box for the second kit, so that one isn't an issue. Looks like things will resolve in a couple weeks once I get my money back and the new kit comes in.

Thanks for the help, Roland.

True, or whatever Intel's equivalent is (FSP, was it?). Newegg actually just restocked the Dominator memory I was looking at so I went ahead and ordered it. Only sits at 6600MT, but all the DIMMs are at least guaranteed to play nice together and the timings are much better than what I could barely squeak out of the G.Skill. The Corsair gets something like 32-39-39-76 at 6600MT. Well, the latency isn't the greatest on DDR5 yet, but if I'm lucky I'll see if I can cut it down to CL30.

I also called up Newegg and pleaded my case about the missing box. They said as long as it wasn't damaged and I could ship it back to them safely, I can return it no problem. I had them put in a note about the missing box so the bases should be covered. I have the box for the second kit, so that one isn't an issue. Looks like things will resolve in a couple weeks once I get my money back and the new kit comes in.

Thanks for the help, Roland.
No probs mate, you're welcome. Let us know how you get on.