[SOLVED] Failure to install Realtek HD Audio Drivers

Vovin

Commendable
Mar 14, 2019
This problem has been haunting me for awhile. After going down the rabbit hole again today, I remember that I gave up months ago as I was risking having a stroke trying to figure this out.

Here is the goal: I have PC. PC motherboard (ASUS Z590) has optical out, which I have connected to my 5.1 sound system. Sound is coming out as stereo, but I am trying to get 5.1 sound option on my PC.

Problem: I am encountering issues installing older/patched versions of Realtek audio drivers, like v2.82. I've tried pretty much every solution I could find and nothing is working. Realtek is not installed, yet Windows refuses to let me finish through with installing the older patched drivers (it gives me the failed install error via the install wizard). The only Realtek driver I can install is the newest one from Asus for the mobo, but it doesn't give options for 5.1 surround sound, hence why I am trying to install an older version.

The "scan for hardware changes" method within Device Manager does nothing. There is no "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio" driver under System Devices. I have the "Sound, Video and Game controllers" section (so legacy hardware method won't work).

I do have Nvidia HD sound drivers installed, but I don't think that is a conflict as that should only affect sound outputting from the GPU, not the mobo.

I don't understand what the problem is.

Solution
I thought this was the bypass for trying to get 5.1 from the optical output from the back of the TV, which is connected via HDMI 2.1 to GPU.
i'm also running HDMI 2.1 from my GPU to my LG CX and play video files with 7.1 audio through the TV. my sound bar and satellite speakers have no trouble.
I can't configure it because the only options are for 2 channel output. There are no spatial sound options
for the 5.1 receiver running through my optical port;
in Control Panel > Sound > Realtek Digital Output i get options to select\deselect any of the 6 speakers connected.

but it doesn't have the old option to arrange the speakers around the room like it used to many years ago.
maybe only using their "fake" virtual surround...

Vovin

Commendable
Mar 14, 2019
while using the latest motherboard specific drivers from ASUS have you configured the device in Control Panel > Sound?

the optical audio works great on my Z590 out to a Sony 5.1 receiver.
just had to configure the device first.

I can't configure it because the only options are for 2 channel output. There are no spatial sound options, other than for headphones.

The irony is that I thought this was the bypass for trying to get 5.1 from the optical output from the back of the TV, which is connected via HDMI 2.1 to GPU. The original problem was that apparently HDMI only sent 2 channel stereo sound, so it would not be possible to get 5.1 from the TV. Now if I use TV, it has options for 5.1/7.1 greyed out. I don't even understand how that is possible, unless HDMI 2.1 supports surround sound now?...

The sound system is an older LG set up, nothing fancy. Doesn't have ARC input, but it should support basic DTS stuff from optical PC output, right?

EDIT: I should add that usually in the Sound options, you can test the individual speakers, and it shows a diagram of a speaker set up in a room and whatnot. I don't have that with the optical set up. It just says "L R Rear Panel Optical Jack"

Last edited:
I thought this was the bypass for trying to get 5.1 from the optical output from the back of the TV, which is connected via HDMI 2.1 to GPU.
i'm also running HDMI 2.1 from my GPU to my LG CX and play video files with 7.1 audio through the TV. my sound bar and satellite speakers have no trouble.
I can't configure it because the only options are for 2 channel output. There are no spatial sound options
for the 5.1 receiver running through my optical port;
in Control Panel > Sound > Realtek Digital Output i get options to select\deselect any of the 6 speakers connected.

but it doesn't have the old option to arrange the speakers around the room like it used to many years ago.
maybe only using their "fake" virtual surround with spatial sound enabled gives you that option?
i know my older USB headset with virtual surround gave me options to adjust this.

Solution