[SOLVED] Fairly new to Computers; got a laptop and have some issues with Gaming

Dec 6, 2018
So I just got a new laptop with a GTX 1050-ti 4GB and an i7-7700HQ with 2.8GHz. I know that Laptops aren't the best choice for gaming, and that the 1050ti isn't quite the best card out there, but I'd be fine with playing games on medium settings. The problem is that I've seen multiple benchmarks for games like For Honor, where the game runs fine even on high settings at 1080p, but it doesn't even run at 40fps on the lowest settings. I have to turn the resolution all the way down and the render scale at 25% with the lowest options in order to get 60fps, and I don't think that's quite right.

I've downloaded MSI Afterburner and tried out For Honor and Rust, and this is what it looks like:
https://gyazo.com/32cb07d802958cdb9a5003038d01cdf5 (This is on Medium Settings at 1366x768)
https://gyazo.com/da1083fd021571cf21d28959d865f803 (This is on the lowest settings at ~720p)

As you can see, not quite the expected results. What I have found out is that both of these games are GPU Intensive. I've tested out some CPU intensive games like Europa Universalis 4 and Hearts of Iron 4 and can say that they run well. So the issue is most definitely with my GPU, but I'm not exactly sure what.

I've noticed that the standard clock speed for a 1050ti is 1392MHz, but mine runs at just 600MHz, so I'm thinking that overclocking, or well, normalclocking it might fix the issue, but I am kinda scared of doing it as I've heard that it can pretty badly damage the laptop. I do have a cooling pad, and was also wondering if it'd be fine to turn the clock speed up while I'm playing GPU-intensive games (usually 2-3 hour sessions or less) while using a cooling pad? I mean, it's already under what it should be, so I'm guessing it'd be fine even without (hopefully I'm not wrong), but I just want to make sure it's okay. I'd also like to point out that while it's good some fairly okay-ish specs for gaming, my laptop wasn't exactly made specifically for that. It's an Acer Aspire 7 A717-71G-71BX and maybe they turned the clock speed down because the GPU isn't intended to be used that much? I'm just guessing, and won't do anything risky before I hear opinions from people who are more experienced in this, though.

I'd also like to add that the GPU temperatures pretty much stay stuck at 45C, which is pretty darn safe, wouldn't it be ok even at 60 or so degrees?

Solution
I solved this, as it turns out the latest NVIDIA driver caused some issues and I had to install the one before the latest one. Everything works perfectly now.

Ramlethal

Estimable
For honor is CPU based, even if your GPU will affect its performance its impact will be more seen in the side of the CPU than GPU.
Also... It looks like your laptop its limiting its power: Check the Power Management Settings and put the High Performance mode and always game with your PC connected to current othertwice it will limit itself to make the battery last longer.

Dec 6, 2018

I've changed the power plan now, it was Balanced and that did give me a neat 10fps boost (completely forgot power plans existed tbh), but the graphics card still seems to be limtied to 600MHz and 40-45C temperature, so I'm pretty sure there's something limiting it. I've seen something online about the possibility of the BIOS limiting the clock speed? If that's a thing then it could be the case.

Dec 6, 2018
I solved this, as it turns out the latest NVIDIA driver caused some issues and I had to install the one before the latest one. Everything works perfectly now.

Solution