Fake Cell Towers Could Be Attacking Your Cellphone Up To 80-90 Times Per Hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
I believe this mainly affects GSM networks such as AT&T and T-Mobile. The encryption between your phone and tower is completely controlled by the tower so it's easy enough for a fake tower to disable encryption. Your phone will naturally connect to the fake tower if it's closer. The fake tower has the ability to intercept communications as well as push firmware / software updates to your phone. For more info look at Defcon 18 - Practical Cellphone Spying

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Hackers everywhere are thinking, Why didn't I think of that?

Because it's not cheap. Those IMSI catchers start from 3k up to 100k, and have a limited range.

It's much cheaper to use social engineering. People are dumb, and are willing to install "Free Whatsapp with themes!!" way too easily.

f-14

Distinguished
most of these fake towers operated by the american government are turned off unless there is an imminent threat to national security, then big brother starts screening calls.

so if some of these towers are on, it's because there's a legitimate threat going on near you. minneapolis and saint paul are specifically being monitored right now that i know of, with possible kansas city los angels and new york city.
the ISIS/ISIL threats are being taken seriously.

turned off, that's funny -- leave on collect data sell data to pay back project or invest in more towers onr thing you got to remember is that with a hard line = require a warrant on the air waves = free for all

bob9951

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
Bring on those gov'mint false towers! I got nothing to hide and I don't want me or my friends blown up in the next ISIS attack attempt.

bob9951

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
Sorry about your privacy but ... F you for thinking it's more important than my safety. Some of us are actually the terrorists.

Status
Not open for further replies.