"Fake" Gaming Laptops

Nov 9, 2019
This is something I am concerned with the future of gaming laptops. Companies like Razor and Lenovo are jumping on this bandwagon. I am talking about Laptops like the Razor blade Stealth and Lenovo Y740s that was just announced. Who buy's these types of machines? I don't really care nor want an extenable EGPU. If I wanted one I would just get a desktops. These manufacturers are calling them "Gaming" laptops but they don't even have a dedicated GPU????!

Nov 9, 2019
It's not a bad idea though, gaming laptops have long suffered from overheating. Moving the GPU to an external box only when necessary would help with that.

But the whole point of a gaming laptop is portable gaming on the go. I do not want to have to cary my 5 pound laptop in a backpack, PLUS and extra box.

But the whole point of a gaming laptop is portable gaming on the go. I do not want to have to cary my 5 pound laptop in a backpack, PLUS and extra box.
Then buy a gaming laptop. I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon. There are plenty of nice laptops that have Core i5 and i7 that would benefit greatly from an eGPU. I wouldn't mind having a gaming laptop that has an eGPU, because I have a gaming PC and need a laptop for school and work, so I don't always want a GPU with it pulling the battery down.

Nov 9, 2019
Then buy a gaming laptop. I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon. There are plenty of nice laptops that have Core i5 and i7 that would benefit greatly from an eGPU. I wouldn't mind having a gaming laptop that has an eGPU, because I have a gaming PC and need a laptop for school and work, so I don't always want a GPU with it pulling the battery down.

I don't think they will go away but you never know. I totally get the point of an eGPU I just don't see much logic behind it though.

Nov 9, 2019
I think the general Idea here is to have a portable system for work/school but one that is able to game (well) when you get home.

-Wolf sends

Yes, but my problem comes if you are traveling on business or to other countries what then? I don't think I would buy a laptop like the y740s if that was the case.

Nov 9, 2019
If you're traveling on business or to other countries, then you don't fall into the audience they were designed for. Of course you wouldn't purchase one.

-Wolf sends

I understand. However, My fear is that companies will just completely get rid of an option with a dedicated GPU and force consumers to buy an EGPU.

divadoll

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
Razer has been into laptop gaming for a long time. It is considered a premium brand. Lenovo jumped in a few years ago. They give a pretty good bang for the buck. I considered the y545 with a 1660ti card but wanted a 17.3" screen. Looked at the Lenovo y740 or 745 and it was good price point for a better card. What I didn't like was its matte lifeless screen. I game but do artwork and graphics. Alienware is banned from my house forever and overpriced for the garbage parts they use. That means no more Dell too. I looked at Asus, MSI and Acer. Not a fan of HP.

A 17.3" laptop has more room for bigger heat pipes and I don't play the newest games now. Ended up with a thin, vibrant GE75 Raider MSI, 16gb ram, 2060 full sized card, I7-9750 chip,500gb ssd and 1tb hard drive. It has a nice keyboard too. Battery life sucks but is usual in a gaming laptop and it is really a desktop replacement for me until I have another desktop built to replace my maxed out Alienware giant paper weight. Then this will be in my art studio or bed. Hating all the Windows 10 machinations but love my new laptop. I was surprised to get it for $1200. The 2070 card was overkill so I saved some money.

TRENDING THREADS