Fake Hackintosh MacBook Pro Runs Mac OS X Too?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]An Atom isnt a real laptop -- all this does is prove that only Apple can fit real guts in a computer this size.[/citation]

Oh never mind. This looks thicker too.

G

Most of those renegade made in china look-a-likes are worth less than you pay for them. Comparing my Pro to even a name brand notebook is like comparing my new Chevy to a Ugo.

G

Friend of mine got suckered into paying $999 for one of these.
As soon as I showed him the windows key and the fact it was running Windows with a fake mac skin he was pissed off.
He believed it was a macbook air.

I picked it up, it feels cheap. Lighter than my HP netbook and made from garbage plastic.

A phone call to the police got us no results as they didn't want to do anything about it. So we went to the shop that sold it to him and got his money back after smacking the guy who sold it to him around a bit.

Not the solution I would recommend to anyone but being 6'5" and 270lbs comes in handy when a scammer tries to take your friend's money.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]MaxGuerette[/nom]Ok, macbooks are more money then your typical same spec PC. But they are designed specifically for the software that is put on them. Cant say that about a PC.. I love my PC but i also love tinkering to make it run better and smooth.. I have a macbook because when i just need something that works... no ifs or buts.. its always there for you .. I dont mind paying the extra $$ to have that.. Sure PC people think they are under powered but Mac OS needs less to function better then windows..[/citation]

Macs are and always will be overpriced mid-end garbage. The only +side of a mac is that it's a lot easier to use than a PC. Period.

Call me when apple's pc run high-en games well and have resonable prices.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]WarraWarra[/nom]LOL my old man 70+ years old has a Asus laptop with same cpu , ati 5870 and 2 500gb hd's + blu ray costing $1200 and you have a Apple MBP with nothing for $2500 ????Who is the fool now ?Dude this is $466 Atom not $2500 for a mobile i7 Intel cpu. What do you expect.This just proves Apple can build their $200.00 Mac Book Pro's for decent prices and then still charge $2300.00 for the glory of running Apple OSX bloatware that is not backwards compatible + Apple logo on that same Mac Book Pro.Sry I used to be a Apple fan back when Apple was tech leader with performance parts that looked like something nice.IE: The last Apple laptops that was build G4 Powerbooks that knocked my desktop socks off.So sorry that you are stuck with a 17" PDA i7 2.66ghz that you over payed for just to experience how broken Apple can be.Apple where is the nice decent Apple's you used to build like bondi blue or the cube or something with style and flair something that says Apple not the current pothead making crack in his bath tub at home in California Current Apple weak hardware you are selling now.Come on Apple stop being such lame ars* cowards and start building Apple again.[/citation]

You my friend are out of your mind.lol The G4 was slow as hell. AMD and Intel have been smoking those IBM chips for a long time. I had a G4 powerbook and while it ran fine, it ran fine because the OS was optimized for it and not because it was a smoking chip from a processing capacity standpoint. Can you buy a laptop with simular specs for less....sure, can I buy brand x fruit loops in a bag instead of in a box. Yep, taste the same. That is not the point. If you look at the reliability figures, if you look at the industrial engineering, if you look at the customer service, on top of the specs that is where the additional costs are. Some people can justify it, others can. The only other laptop brand out there that is on the level on those other things is the Lenovo Thinkpad. Built like a tank, lasts damn near forever and great support and service. I have used Toshiba, Dell, HP, Compaq (before they where bought), Sony, AST (I used to work for them auditing the laptops), and non of them come close to Thinkpad or MacBook Pro. Period... Spec for Spec Thinkpad and MBP are price very simular with Apple having more options so they can go higher in price (like 512gb SSD for example).

I will go down the line on the issues:

HP - Motherboard failure after motherboard failure. We would even get replacement motherboards in from the manufacturer that where DOA.

Sony - Not a professional laptop - Absolutely loaded with useless media apps that slow the entire system down. Was not to bad when I blew it away and loaded fresh but their customer service leaves allot to be desired.

Compaq - Oh the memory of a screen that would go black on you and the only way to get it back was to hold the corners and twist it. No lie.

Toshiba - Satellite was fairly solid actually. Buttons popped off though.

Dell - Failed DVDRW, Failed MB, Failed Harddrive, Buttons popped out. Customer service was good though and actually gave me a brand new laptop of my choosing so that was cool

AST - Depended on the laptop, one was decent but was a brick and the other failed so much I actually had to stop the production line .

Never had a issue with Thinkpad or my MBP. Not one and I beat the crap out of my systems for work and play. They are both built like tanks and have a motion sensor in them to detect a fall and immediately turn off the harddrive. My dog knocked my Macbook Pro off the couch and jammed my Verizon data card into the laptop destroying the assembly and knocking out all ports on that side of the laptop. Damn thing still worked like a champ. Took it into Apple Store and the ordered a new motherboard and had the laptop back to me by noon the next morning before I had to catch a flight.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. Spec's don't tell the whole story.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
No offense intended to anyone....well, maybe a little. The components that go into Apple's overpriced crap, are built to the same standards as any other Intel branded component. BTW, for those that didn't know, Foxconn actually builds the Intel branded motherboards. The chances of getting a faulty product are just as high with an Apple product, as with any other product. I know people that have had Apple products drop left and right....and I know people that have had no issues at all. Hell, maybe the people I know that have had problems with Apple products, are simply holding them wrong.... Maybe Apple should include a page in their manuals detailing the proper way to hold the device to prevent malfunction....or maybe they should just learn to actually design something instead of stealing from other companies....or paying the chinese to do it.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]No offense intended to anyone....well, maybe a little. The components that go into Apple's overpriced crap, are built to the same standards as any other Intel branded component. BTW, for those that didn't know, Foxconn actually builds the Intel branded motherboards. The chances of getting a faulty product are just as high with an Apple product, as with any other product. I know people that have had Apple products drop left and right....and I know people that have had no issues at all. Hell, maybe the people I know that have had problems with Apple products, are simply holding them wrong.... Maybe Apple should include a page in their manuals detailing the proper way to hold the device to prevent malfunction....or maybe they should just learn to actually design something instead of stealing from other companies....or paying the chinese to do it.[/citation]

No one said that they don't fail but their failure rates compared to other main stream brands show clearly that they have less failures that other brands. Same with the Thinkpad. Chances of failure vs actually failure rates are 2 different things and you are also assuming that they are using all of the same components or level of board. Case in point, Asus makes allot of great motherboards, that have allot of the same components but some boards come with a few more options and prettier heatsinks but they cost damn near 400.00 bucks yet they also have the other boards that cost around 150 that will do just fine and run the exact same processors.

Just because Foxconn is making the boards does not mean that they are the exact same thing. There is more to a board than the proc and a chipset. You have resisters, capacitors and everything else on those things and there are varying quality levels of each.

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

lol... not noob..just plain oversight...at 4 am studying ...guess what IPR laws!!!!! :pt1cable: kinda overlooked the most simple mention on that page...and that was "china" hahaa.....thx for pointing it out....

but first will have to check the jurisdiction of the us courts.max they can make a noise at wto.action is for china to take...will never happen.....time to check ur link :D

Apple components are the ~exact~ same as found on any other system. The only thing different is they look more fashionable and have a fruit sticker on the outside. The "Apple hardware is better" is a myth from back in the PPC days when Apple follows subscribed to the idea that they were better cause of PPC architecture, then Apple went x86 on them. They will have identical factory failure rates (failure due to manufacturing defects) although user failure rates may vary due to what people do around them.

Put down the latte and back away from the bong.

ano

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
"be it Mac OS X or just that glowing Apple logo on the back"

It's just that Apple logo, nothing more! Just go to SonyStyle and Apple online store, compare them yourself !
sony vaio: i7-640M 2.8GHz (TurboBoost up to 3.47GHz),256GB SSD (2x128GB RAID 0), 8GB 1066 DDR3, hybrid graphics (1GB GeForce GT330M+intel), full hd 13.1" display, carbon fiber body and it weighs only 1.37KG for about $2700 ! (@ap3X have you ever heard of "FRESH START" option when you buy a laptop?! no junk apps pre-installed on your laptop if you choose fresh start and sony wont charge you ANYTHING for it!)

now with Apple MacBook Pro : 2.66 Core2 Duo (YES CORE2 DUO), 8GB 1066 DDR3, 256GB SSD (no raid), GeForce 320M, 13.3" (1280 by 800 native res!) is $2649 !

see it for yourself:
Sony:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644570897&parentCategoryId=16154

Apple:
http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC375LL/A?mco=MTc0Njg1NzE

ano

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Sony - Not a professional laptop - Absolutely loaded with useless media apps that slow the entire system down. Was not to bad when I blew it away and loaded fresh but their customer service leaves allot to be desired.[/citation]

First, as a SE student i have to ask you what is a "professional laptop"?! is it a macbook "PRO"?! (you know, just because it is "PRO"!)

Second, your only issue with sony vaio is pre-installed applications? next time you order a laptop check the "FRESH START" option!

problem solved?!

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
lots of apple haters here.... either way.... ever machine has an equal probability of failure be apple or not...makes no difference......

[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]No one said that they don't fail but their failure rates compared to other main stream brands show clearly that they have less failures that other brands. Same with the Thinkpad. Chances of failure vs actually failure rates are 2 different things and you are also assuming that they are using all of the same components or level of board. Case in point, Asus makes allot of great motherboards, that have allot of the same components but some boards come with a few more options and prettier heatsinks but they cost damn near 400.00 bucks yet they also have the other boards that cost around 150 that will do just fine and run the exact same processors.Just because Foxconn is making the boards does not mean that they are the exact same thing. There is more to a board than the proc and a chipset. You have resisters, capacitors and everything else on those things and there are varying quality levels of each.[/citation]

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
fair comparison m8...... "PRO" in MAcbook PRO stands for "PRO Con"

[citation][nom]ano[/nom]"be it Mac OS X or just that glowing Apple logo on the back"It's just that Apple logo, nothing more! Just go to SonyStyle and Apple online store, compare them yourself !sony vaio: i7-640M 2.8GHz (TurboBoost up to 3.47GHz),256GB SSD (2x128GB RAID 0), 8GB 1066 DDR3, hybrid graphics (1GB GeForce GT330M+intel), full hd 13.1" display, carbon fiber body and it weighs only 1.37KG for about $2700 ! (@ap3X have you ever heard of "FRESH START" option when you buy a laptop?! no junk apps pre-installed on your laptop if you choose fresh start and sony wont charge you ANYTHING for it!)now with Apple MacBook Pro : 2.66 Core2 Duo (YES CORE2 DUO), 8GB 1066 DDR3, 256GB SSD (no raid), GeForce 320M, 13.3" (1280 by 800 native res!) is $2649 !see it for yourself:Sony:http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wc [...] ryId=16154Apple:http://store.apple.com/us/configur [...] Tc0Njg1NzE[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.