Fake Kingston HyperX Blue?

Ton_Lang

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Hi guys.

Today, I might just have been scammed over a Ram stick that I have purchased. Specifically I have purchased a Kingston HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3 4gb.

I already have an existing one which is 4GB as well and the board or the board stick itself is black(heat spreader is blue). However, the new one I received seemed to be fake as it has a Blue board stick as opposed to the black one.

I immediately removed the original from my motherboard and tested the new one to see if it will appear as 1600mhz in the bios and it did. So I plugged in both ram sticks and the machine boots up.

Checking CPUz i have confirmed that what I got was a fake one as it has a different part number.
Also, the packaging is odd and is all in chinese.

Here is the cpuz result for the original one.
2zfs8if.png

here is for the new suspected fake one
15zkphu.png

also, the fake one seemed to be a dual channel one while the original one is only single.
What do you guys think? Would I have any problems with using both of these? I mean, they are both 4GBs and are both 1600MHz. They are also both Kingston but the only problem I think I am having is the part numbers and the channels being different.

Thank you for any suggestions you might give. If you need more information, perhaps I can provide it. Just ask me.

Solution
If it works well enough and was cheap enough and a questionable warranty may not matter to you, use it. However, in my instance I needed specific ram for a dell that does not recognize XMP and the fake ram would not set to the right speed by SPD whereas the actual part number I thought I was buying and eventually got from another vendor ran perfect with SPD settings.

If nothing else give the info and who filled the order to kingston, let them protect their IP and maybe some poor sap will be saved from a headache before the quality goes down and the fakers make and dump a lot of bad ram before closing and dashing with the cash.

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Dual rank, not dual channel, memory chips on both sides of the stick. The one claims to be kingston, but I would ask kingston support as I received a bootleg ddr4 fury kit they were interested in. Pics of the spd info, pics of the sticks, pics of any labels on the questionable stick.

Ton_Lang

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
@kraelic.

thanks for responding. sorry for the miss interpreted rank vs channel. kinda new to this. will do contact kingston later. the sticks seems to be working together well though.

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
If it works well enough and was cheap enough and a questionable warranty may not matter to you, use it. However, in my instance I needed specific ram for a dell that does not recognize XMP and the fake ram would not set to the right speed by SPD whereas the actual part number I thought I was buying and eventually got from another vendor ran perfect with SPD settings.

If nothing else give the info and who filled the order to kingston, let them protect their IP and maybe some poor sap will be saved from a headache before the quality goes down and the fakers make and dump a lot of bad ram before closing and dashing with the cash.

Solution