Fake virus that block Microsoft Edge of functionality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxime Trepanier

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
Hey there, so I encountered something rly stupid that only happens on Microsoft edge, it looks like that
2015-34-1440004003-untitled.jpg
and I cant close ME without going in the processus tab . i've scanned my PC with IOBIT / malwarebytes and even Windows defender that comes with Windows 10 and there is no virus in my PC but every time I open ME this page pops up with my old tabs that are suppose to go away once I close my brower. so can someone tell me how to get rid of that please, if there is a way? Thank you very much!!!

Solution
I've had this happen with Firefox, and possibly Chrome. The web page is, of course, BS, and trying to get you into REAL problems by doing what it says. In Firefox, you can sometimes close the tab, if you do it early enough...that's been something of a race. Generally, using Task Manager to kill it, then bring it back up has eventually gotten me back to the Restore These Tabs? screen in Firefox, at which point it's trivial to kill that page.

Saw a suggestion just now. This is cute and EASY to try. :) Disconnect your ethernet, then try starting Edge back up. It obviously won't be able to connect. At that point, you should be able to kill the offending page.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
I've had this happen with Firefox, and possibly Chrome. The web page is, of course, BS, and trying to get you into REAL problems by doing what it says. In Firefox, you can sometimes close the tab, if you do it early enough...that's been something of a race. Generally, using Task Manager to kill it, then bring it back up has eventually gotten me back to the Restore These Tabs? screen in Firefox, at which point it's trivial to kill that page.

Saw a suggestion just now. This is cute and EASY to try. :) Disconnect your ethernet, then try starting Edge back up. It obviously won't be able to connect. At that point, you should be able to kill the offending page.

Solution

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
That's one of the easy things to check. Bad grammar, basic spelling mistakes...official email coming from a site won't have them. Of course, with these pages, the fact that it won't let you kill the page is the slam-dunk. :) But even before that, just one glance at the errors just tells you flat out...GET ME OUT OF HERE, and DO NOT touch ANY link on the page.

Maxime Trepanier

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
Thanks guys, after doing a scan with malware byte and iobit nothing was spotted I had to activate Windows Defender to spot it I think its a ruse from Microsoft because they dont want us to turn it off!!!

Saberus

Distinguished

It's just a poorly made malware site, no subterfuge from Microsoft.

Microsoft is a very visible company, there is no way they will even think about risking the potential legal and PR nightmare of faking malware attacks to scare folks onto Defender. It would be corporate suicide.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
I saw that too.

Maxime, what you're lacking is a tool that examines pages and blocks attack sites like this, before they can ever load. Defender has this, but in general, it's WOEFULLY inadequate. You WILL regret it, sooner or later.

Stupid me. I just did something myself this morning worth a mention here.
There's a home-page article about a new IE zero-day vulnerability. It doesn't exist in Edge, thankfully. But one point they made: download and install Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit, EMET. They also mentioned this as part of building a good anti-malware suite. This TechNet article has a bit more info and a download link:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2015/03/16/emet-5-2-is-available.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.