News Falling Europe GPU Pricing Suggest Shortage is Easing

hannibal

Distinguished
Well 50% reduction when there are at least 250% too expensive… is not so Big drop so far, but yeah hopefully this means somewhat better prices.
Can crypto be forbidden in normal democratic country… not so sure. But maybe some hedty energy using tax would make the maining useless?

Reactions: Krotow

InvalidError

Titan
Can crypto be forbidden in normal democratic country… not so sure.
I'm fairly confident that more governments will eventually come down hard on crypto once they decide that they want to collect crypto income taxes on new block credits, crypto capital gains on transactions and related fees, clamp down on crypto power drain, crypto ransomware, crypto money-laundering, etc.

While China may be the first to implement large-scale bans, it won't be the last.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
...but hopefully this means more people will be able to get graphics cards at more reasonable prices.
There is nothing reasonable about prices dropping from x3 MSRP to x2 MSRP.

This so called "drop" = ZERO effect for gamers. Still only the idiots will be fooled to buy them and people with common sense will wait, again and more...

I'm tired of all publications and youtube channels making click-bait titles and not reporting the truth, just their spinned half truths to make more traffic.

Every journalist with integrity should say: "prices are still extremely high and the drops are insignificant, so the end results is that there is no real change in the situation."

Bleh.

Grindathotte

Commendable
Jun 18, 2021
There's potential for a price crash, though huge demand may make that unlikely. If hoarders see prices going down they may try to sell quickly to beat the trend, thus pushing prices down further and so increasing the desire to sell quickly, and so on... Well, we can but dream. Nice to see a bit of good news on this front anyway.

In the UK there is a chain that deal with secondhand electronics called CEX. About 1-2 months ago they were offering to buy my 3080 for just over £1400. Might seem low but remember they have to add VAT and a warranty when they sell items. Today they are offering £688. Seems they are expecting a shift in price or demand or both.

InvalidError

Titan
There is nothing reasonable about prices dropping from x3 MSRP to x2 MSRP.
What is or isn't reasonable is relative. For the rest of us, a markups meltdown is a welcome sign that supply is catching up with demand.

There's potential for a price crash, though huge demand may make that unlikely. If hoarders see prices going down they may try to sell quickly to beat the trend, thus pushing prices down further and so increasing the desire to sell quickly, and so on... Well, we can but dream. Nice to see a bit of good news on this front anyway.
You also need to consider the other side of the equation: potential buyers thinking of buying at $2000 instead of $3000 may be nervous about paying $2000 when it looks like they may be able to get it for $1500 or less by waiting just a little while longer, so there may be additional demand depression and downward pricing pressure there too.

The scalper gig is almost up, now they have to start worrying about getting stuck with stale inventory.

Grindathotte

Commendable
Jun 18, 2021
You also need to consider the other side of the equation: potential buyers thinking of buying at $2000 instead of $3000 may be nervous about paying $2000 when it looks like they may be able to get it for $1500 or less by waiting just a little while longer, so there may be additional demand depression and downward pricing pressure there too.

The scalper gig is almost up, now they have to start worrying about getting stuck with stale inventory.
Exactly! This is what happened to house prices in the UK a while back.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
I'm sorry I'm pessimistic about all this, but until I see the prices at MSRP there is no good news for me.

I couldn't care less if they are +500% or +50% over MSRP. Both cases are a big NO for me and I will never give in to this kind of **** and pay up.

GPUs are already more expensive than ever, even at MSRP, and that is enough grief for me to accept.

I can't wait for Intel DG2 to come, so these are desperate times if I find myself waiting for an Intel product to help the situation...

InvalidError

Titan
I'm sorry I'm pessimistic about all this, but until I see the prices at MSRP there is no good news for me.
Well, you may see cards "at MSRP" soon since some RTX3060Tis launched with ~$1000 MSRPs.

If what you actually meant by "at MSRP" is actually pre-crypto-boom or more in line with "traditional" price points for given performance tiers based on names, then you can forget about that. We are still in the middle of a chip shortage and even all of the new fabs on their way for 2022-2024 may not necessarily be enough to fully catch up with fab backlogs. MSRPs going up ~20% across the board relative to where they used to be will likely be permanent.

The only way prices may go down below 1H2020 levels would be if there is a demand crash across the board forcing chip manufacturers to drop prices to stimulate demand or go bankrupt from not having anything they can make and sell for a profit in their shiny new fabs.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Well, you may see cards "at MSRP" soon since some RTX3060Tis launched with ~$1000 MSRPs.

If what you actually meant by "at MSRP" is actually pre-crypto-boom or more in line with "traditional" price points for given performance tiers based on names, then you can forget about that. We are still in the middle of a chip shortage and even all of the new fabs on their way for 2022-2024 may not necessarily be enough to fully catch up with fab backlogs. MSRPs going up ~20% across the board relative to where they used to be will likely be permanent.

The only way prices may go down below 1H2020 levels would be if there is a demand crash across the board forcing chip manufacturers to drop prices to stimulate demand or go bankrupt from not having anything they can make and sell for a profit in their shiny new fabs.
When I said MSRP I meant: RX 6800 at 580 USD/EUR and RX 6800XT at 650 USD/EUR.

I want to buy one of those GPUs at those prices and the only way I would pay more is max +10% for a good AIB model, like in a normal world prices would be.

So until that happen anyone and everyone selling those cards more expensive than that can go **** themselves. I won't give them my money and I will buy a PS5. I was gonna buy a PS5 after the GPU upgrade, but now I'll probably buy it 1st and wait till 2022 or even 2023 if I have to, for more saner prices for GPUs.

I did not jump into buying a PS5 yet because I still want to see when exactly is Intel gonna launch, this year or the next, so I'm waiting for official news, not rumors. After that I'll know what I will buy next... a GPU or a console.

InvalidError

Titan
So until that happen anyone and everyone selling those cards more expensive than that can go **** themselves. I won't give them my money and I will buy a PS5. I was gonna buy a PS5 after the GPU upgrade, but now I'll probably buy it 1st and wait till 2022 or even 2023 if I have to, for more saner prices for GPUs.
Last time I checked, the only places that had the PS5 in stock had a 50+% markup. With many component prices having gone up since the launch price was announced, it could be a long while before the PS5 becomes readily available at launch MSRP too.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Last time I checked, the only places that had the PS5 in stock had a 50+% markup. With many component prices having gone up since the launch price was announced, it could be a long while before the PS5 becomes readily available at launch MSRP too.
Yes, there are stores that scalp PS5s too, but then again there are exponentially more stores that still sell at MSRP PS5s as opposed to GPUs. This is the case all over the world, but even more so in the EU.

I have at least 2 or 3 stores from where I can buy a PS5 at MSRP locally, I just have to decide I want to buy it and hunt it for a few weeks tops. Just last week they had a few hundred in stock and lasted quite a bit (1 hour I think, in one place).

I'm not gonna pay more than MSRP for a console either, or for any product for that matter. I do not relinquish my principles in any area of life, especially in buying goods.

konawolv

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
Well 50% reduction when there are at least 250% too expensive… is not so Big drop so far, but yeah hopefully this means somewhat better prices.
Can crypto be forbidden in normal democratic country… not so sure. But maybe some hedty energy using tax would make the maining useless?
Well, a 50% reduction in price on a 250% mark up, means the mark up is now 125%. Im sure you knew that, but someone could stumble across this comment and think that 250% - 50% = 200% too expensive still. which isnt the case. Still way too over priced, but its getting better.

Jun 18, 2021
When you see videos of hordes of people waiting in line for something and buying extras to flip- that is the classic signs of a bubble (real estate, stocks, even lumber). The rich don't get richer by paying 1k, let alone 2k for a freakin' video card. The crypto miners, once they account for costs, electricity, still will have to pay taxes. And the IRS isn't treating it like a currency, so you'll have to pay FULL income tax on it. You make $7-$10 a day mining, not accounting for the cost of your over priced card and electrics then pay 30% tax off the top when you sell - what are you left with? You'll make more working for McDonalds. I for one can afford any card...it's not the money - I refuse to be ripped off. I'll wait 1 year, 2 years to get a card at MSRP and that's it. Anyone who buys a card over MSRP should be asking for a jar of Vaseline..because they are getting bent over without lube!

cgilley

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
Hopefully these guys will take a bath.

cgilley

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
Well, a 50% reduction in price on a 250% mark up, means the mark up is now 125%. Im sure you knew that, but someone could stumble across this comment and think that 250% - 50% = 200% too expensive still. which isnt the case. Still way too over priced, but its getting better.
I suspect this trend (card prices will accelerate as crypto is faltering. Just saw on Newegg a 3070 for 1499, down from 1899, straight from China. Yeah, not going to buy a used card. End of summer these things are going to be in free fall. Just get your's from a reputable supplier.

InvalidError

Titan
crprto currency isn't really bannable. government banning it only will drive it undeground. mining crypto has moved from gpu intensive to storage intensive.
While you may not be able to prevent people from mining crypto, it is certainly possible for governments to ban its use and make it mostly worthless - crypto isn't worth spending millions of dollars on if you cannot cash out.