Fallout 3 Crashes

j1996

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Hi guys

I am having a problem where Fallout 3 crashes my computer so the screen looks like this http://s18.postimage.org/dnr75gtg9/2012_07_31_19_51_32.jpg

It happens when I go into VATS and it has suddenly started happening very close to when I start the game, before it would take a few hours.

Everything keeps running in the background like I can still talk on skype, but the screen is locked up and I have to force restart the computer to fix it.
I know it's not overheating or anything like that because if I check temps while I am playing they are fine, around normal for my graphics card. I also don't think it is a hardware problem because this hasn't happened in any other games. I have done the tweaks so that it will run alright on Windows 7 but they haven't fixed it. I also have rolled back drivers and tried 12.6 and 12.7. Neither helped

Specs:

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
i5 3570k
Asus Radeon 7970 Direct Cu ii Top
8gb 1600mhz RAM
64gb Crucial M4
2tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Asus P8Z77-V LK
OCZ ZX850W Gold PSU

I think I remembered everything I needed to tell you but if I missed anything let me know.

Thanks for any help.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
^^ go to Documents/My Games/Fallout3 and edit Fallout.ini with notepad or whatever you like. Under general put:
iNumHWThreads=4
4 would be 4 threads (4 cores or two cores 2 w/ hyper threading)

I'm not exactly sure why that would fix the problem but I have heard that people with quad core CPUs sometimes set that to 2 to limit it to only two cores and it fixed many crash problems.

EDIT: sorry didn't see your post before I wrote mine! Is that what you tried? ^

j1996

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010

Yeah that's the one I have tried. I'm not sure it is the same problem because from what I people have said about that crash it doesn't crash the computer, just the game.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Ok, I used to have this problem I think telling the game to use threaded AI and a mixture of that and limit it to 2 cores is what fixed it.
Fallout.ini add the
iNumHWThreads=2
as well as change or add:
bUseThreadedAI=1

Not sure why I couldn't remember that one earlier. I did not have the same CTD semi freeze problem but mine would freeze up after a few minutes and this tweak definitely fixed it for me.

j1996

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010

Tried that one too, it didn't work. Thanks for the suggestions though.

passenger1978

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
I tried everyting that I could find on the internet: Ini file .Net Frameworks, K-lite pack, compatibility mode, turning of visual themes and desktop composition, dll file, turning off autosaving, not using quicksaving, forcing V-sync off, patching away Windows Live Gaming or something, turning off my mods, cleaning my registry, clear cache memory with ~PBC, the thing with ffdshow, updated my graphic drivers, updated my sound drivers, and some other stuff I must have forgotten. Worked on it for 4 days now.

And now: after installing: Large Adress Aware Enabler for FO3 and Error Corrections Reduce CTD at Fallout Nexus: no more crashes. I think the trick was that the game was heavy for my memory, game uses my 4 GB memory now.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

Wow you sure tried a lot of different things, those Large Address Aware mods for Beth games from Nexus are always helpful :)
Good to know you figured it out by yourself! Congrats!

j1996

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010

I'll try that out on mine when I get home, hopefully it works!

j1996

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Sadly those fixes didn't work for me. I also noticed that the color the screen goes when it crashes changes depending on the lighting in the part of the game I am in.