'Fallout 4' PC Specs And Release Dates Revealed; Can You Run It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Where is the answer to the BIG question? Will they offer a DX12 PATCH????!!!!! They had plenty of time to port one!

No, they definitely didn't have enough time. DirectX 12 is not just an update to DirectX 11 it's a totally different type of API.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Are the GPU min specs right? The 7870 and 550Ti aren't in the same class, nor are they even close on Tom's own Hierarchy Chart. Either the nVIDIA min card is wrong or nVIDIA spent a helluva lot more time and money on this title's optimization than AMD did.

Is Fallout 4 an official TWIMTBP title?

Maxime506

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
The trend is: since fallout 4 requires a physical quad-core especially like an i5 as minimum, i3 probably not gonna cut it in future next-gen, not mentioning a g3258

Digmeahole

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
Where is the answer to the BIG question? Will they offer a DX12 PATCH????!!!!! They had plenty of time to port one!

No, they definitely didn't have enough time. DirectX 12 is not just an update to DirectX 11 it's a totally different type of API.[/quote]

No, they definitely didn't have enough time. DirectX 12 is not just an update to DirectX 11 it's a totally different type of API.

It took two engineers six weeks to port a dx 11 game to dx 12 to show how easily it could be done. Six weeks for two people....do the math....they had plenty of time.

Jeremy Kincaid

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Are the GPU min specs right? The 7870 and 550Ti aren't in the same class, nor are they even close on Tom's own Hierarchy Chart. Either the nVIDIA min card is wrong or nVIDIA spent a helluva lot more time and money on this title's optimization than AMD did.

Indeed. 550 ti has 192 cuda cores so it is on par with the tegra soc's. hd 7870 has 1280 stream processors so it is on par (slightly better) than current consoles. Anandtech's benchmarks show the 7870 to be over twice as fast. I have an hd 7850 so i really hope its a typo and they meant like a hd 5870 or something. Although it is only 1 gb and they seem to want 2gb.

Also I hope to see this game be less processor bound then their other titles. Building gaming pc's is hard when you can get a cheap cpu that can run 99% of games just fine but then you get to Skyrim things get all clunky. I understand they have a lot more AI stuff going on than pretty much any other game, but when most other games benefit more from a powerful gpu it's hard to justify getting a good cpu for just one game when you are poor like me :C.

The Fermi architecture shaders in the GTX 550 Ti have a hot clock, which means each shader is essentially comparable to 2 shaders in an architecture without a hot clock. So think 384 shaders, not 192. Still pretty low-end, and obviously inferior to the 7870 by a very wide margin.

Official hardware requirements are always inaccurate.

TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
currently rocking a poor old i3-2120 with 4gb ram! I intend to get an i7-6700 and 16gb by the end of the year, but strangely enough I have yet to play a game my setup can't handle.

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
now the real question is how buggy will it be on release and how long until its patched up well enough to play. doesn't seem like anyone can just launch a damn game that works. and they certainly never have enough server space for launch and you have to wait hours to login. I normally wait at least a month before I buy a new game.

CaptainShiro

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
If my computer has an Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4000M CPU @2.40 GHz 2.39GHz and 4.00 GB (3.89 GB usable) of installed RAM. Can I still play it?

InvalidError

Titan

How easily things can be ported depends on how they were coded in the first place and the nature of what needs to be changed along the way.

Since DX12 makes some fundamental changes to how client code talks to the API and hardware, some substantial re-engineering might be required to properly adapt the code if the existing game engine and software flow and structures cannot be cleanly broken down into DX12-friendly ways.

Since the game doesn't have benchmarks, we can only tell you what the article says. An i3-4000M is well under the i5-2300 both per core and in multicore performance, so you are under the minimum recommendations. Whether or not you can play it remains to be seen.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Are the GPU min specs right? The 7870 and 550Ti aren't in the same class
This has been happening a LOT lately. See, also, Mad Max, Just Cause 3, Arkham Knight, etc. Pretty much everything since Arkham Knight is jacking up the requirements on AMD hardware.

Et____

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
how about the minimum cpu with a good gpu.

i have a 2600k and i plan on buying an nvidia 950 soon-ish.

it's probably the best upgrade i can get for my money, but how does it scale and do i waste money by bottlenecking myself with the cpu ? how can i find answers on that topic ?? ty folks

Since the game doesn't have benchmarks, we can only tell you what the article says. An i3-4000M is well under the i5-2300 both per core and in multicore performance, so you are under the minimum recommendations. Whether or not you can play it remains to be seen.

Plus, if your using the HD graphics then it's guaranteed that you cannot play fallout 4.

brizzelsprout

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

It took two engineers six weeks to port a dx 11 game to dx 12 to show how easily it could be done. Six weeks for two people....do the math....they had plenty of time.
[/quote]

While a really awesome feat, that was using the latest version of CryEngine so while yes they only had 6 guys they also had all of CryTec building the engine they used.

In the case of Fallout 4 they are using their own engine (a modified version of the Creation Engine that was used in Skyrim) and while Bethesda is most certainly working on a dx12 version, considering that they started production in 2009, I'm sure a good amount of their engineering went towards other things.

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Oh. Exactly on the minimum spec mark. :/
PX4@3Ghz, 8GB, R7 270x.

Wonder what "minimum" actually means here.

Also, in text: "In terms of a processor, an Intel Core i3-2300 or AMD Phenom II X4 945 will do the job."
Where one is below and one above the minimum, neither being accurate.

CaptainShiro

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015

I wasn't planning on using HD graphics. I just want to know if I can use the minimum graphics.

G

Mad Max has a minimum requirement of AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2 GB Memory or higher)

Yet it plays fine on my 6850 with 1 GB of Memory, but I had to reduce everything to minimum. I play at 1080p. The bottleneck is the memory, I get over 60 fps. I have like 3 mb free on my card.

Status
Not open for further replies.