[SOLVED] Fallout 76 running sluggish

mtracy1991

Reputable
Hello all,

I do not understand why I am running into such a choppy experience with Fallout 76. Pretty much the only game that I run and FPS is constantly flickering and causing issues for me.

CPU: FX-9590
GPU: XFX - Radeon R9 290X 4 GB Double Dissipation Video Card
PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold
RAM: G.Skill - Ares Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
MOBO: GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Solution
Framerate dips aren't caused by lack of power, if the computer isn't powerful enough the framerate will become slower for a while, when there's stress on screen. But the dips can be caused by world loading (try to defrag your hard drive), just a bad engine for streaming elements (which is likely in Bethesda's games) or GPU or CPU overheating. Check your temps and not only the usage.

Phazoner

Distinguished

As far as I know Guru3D is a website and it hosts several softwares, which one of them is Rivatuner.

mtracy1991

Reputable

I'll try it out and get back to you.

No it’s not. The 9590 is massively slower in terms of IPC and realistically is just a 4 Core part. In cinebench the 1400 is roughly 1.2x faster than the 9590 in single thread and in multi thread in real life workloads it actually works.

PS in F4 with a 980Ti a FX9590 only gets around 58FPS which ties it with a 6th gen i3. The FX line is build with a stupid architecture basically starving its cores by making them share resources with another.

mtracy1991

Reputable
So in-game I get fluctuations of 60 then drops to 45, 30, then from 50 down to 5 depending on if enemies show up on the screen. Also, Fallout, unfortunately, is bugged tf out and uses the same engine as Fallout 4, just a bit pissed that this is choppy af. Once the new processor series comes out, I will be picking up a 3000 series for sure.

mtracy1991

Reputable

Who are you telling... aggravated. I just analyzed the minimum again, and my processor is the minimum requirement to 76. damn, well, thanks for the information!

mtracy1991

Reputable

So any idea on what I should do? I am getting 50-60 fps then sudden dips into the teens to single digit fps.

Phazoner

Distinguished
Framerate dips aren't caused by lack of power, if the computer isn't powerful enough the framerate will become slower for a while, when there's stress on screen. But the dips can be caused by world loading (try to defrag your hard drive), just a bad engine for streaming elements (which is likely in Bethesda's games) or GPU or CPU overheating. Check your temps and not only the usage.

Solution