Fallout New Vegas Screens, Details Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Yeh, the game isn't about graphics, so hearing the changes is much better than screens.
Maybe it can get the 2010 GOTY?
Or will that be taken by Crysis 2 I wonder?

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I'm glad Bethesda contracted the development of New Vegas to another company. As amazing as Fallout 3 was, it was seriously hindered by Bethesda's annoying design quirks. Hopefully Oblivion is far from the minds of Obsidian's employees as they work on NV.

neblogai

Distinguished
It is obvious that Bethesda's engine is getting old, and most likely none of its weaknesses are fixed for this game. We are promised better melee combat, but Gamebrio is just bad in animation or when displaying damage/wounds/dismemberment. So what are we getting?
1) New plot - in California. Now it gets interesting- will the New Vegas be based on the rich world of Fallout 1-2, or the bland one of Fallout3? I mean things like real world weapons- with descriptions - in Fallout 1-2, versus bland, generic-computer-game-weapons of Fallout3? Will it be more like the world of Fallout2 in Fallout3 graphics, or are we to see post nuclear California suddenly change and become similar to New York?
2) Reputation system - happy to see it being back.
3) Control of NPCs- also very nice to get.
I'm really not sure about this game. I hope for the best, but the short time in development makes it look like its just another way by Bethesda to milk the Fallout franshize and Gamebrio engine. Still, I hope it will surprise me.
Also, I hope that the next Fallout (Fallout4) will get a proper, dedicated engine, not a half-good, second-hand one. Fallout 1 and 2 were deep and realistic- I hope Fallout 4 gets that as well, with fully implemented smart physics, cool but realistic damage and dismemberment, info on items and weapons, respectable power-armor, etc., etc..:)

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]bogcotton[/nom]Yeh, the game isn't about graphics, so hearing the changes is much better than screens.Maybe it can get the 2010 GOTY?Or will that be taken by Crysis 2 I wonder?[/citation]
My money would be on SC2.

tyko

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
It's actually being made by Obsidian Entertainment which I'm more excited about since they were founded by members from Black Isle and they worked on Fallout 2.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Also Obsidian did Neverwinter Nights 2. After playing that game I wonder if Obsidian can make a game that isn't buggy. Chances are this one won't be as bad as Never Winter Nights 2 was in bugs since its based on the Gamebryo engine that Bethesda modified. If they don't have a hand in the actual programming of the engine, it might be good.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Even though they are the largely the remnants of Black Isle, the developer of FO1/2, I don't know if I can trust them after the lack luster sequels they've made. Alpha Protocol has not had mixed buzz. I'll get excited when the reviews for AP are in.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I've never really liked the Fallout franchise. The third one didn't feel so straight forward and this doesn't look so warm and welcoming either (I know, Fallout is all about the opposite) which isn't in the spirit of an RPG. Also, is it supposed to be a grandscale à la MMORPG or what's up with the graphics?
Guess we'll have to see a bit more of the game to see what this is really made out of.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not too sure I like vats being back. It was fun and all, but it made the gameplay much slower. In every playthru I ended up with the lincoln repeater and vats, just headshotting my way thru the game. If it weren't an option I might've played it more the way I do with borderlands (full throttle, rambo style)

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Also Obsidian did Neverwinter Nights 2. After playing that game I wonder if Obsidian can make a game that isn't buggy. Chances are this one won't be as bad as Never Winter Nights 2 was in bugs since its based on the Gamebryo engine that Bethesda modified. If they don't have a hand in the actual programming of the engine, it might be good.[/citation]

NWN 2's bugs were all due to atari not OE's fault , Atari was pressign OE for a very short dead line ,b ecause atari was ina finacial hole at the time , OE had asked atari for more time to polish nwn 2 , but was denied a dead line extension ... had to put my peice in tired of every oen blaming OE for nwn 2's intial buggy state, check the game out now it's da-n good now after all the patches OE has done. also KoTOR 2 was a gmae they did great with few bugs (though i missed the lack of true romancing that the first KoTOR had).

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I really think they need to get back more to the original feel of the series. I enjoyed Fallout 3, don't get me wrong...but in some ways it got too long and drawn out, yet was over too quickly. Maybe it was the running through the wasteland, I don't know. Fallout 1 and 2 just had it right. I'm not really sure why but hopefully they can recapture the essence of the first two games a bit more. Linearity is not always a bad thing, and certainly having your main character die and the game being over before you've really had a chance to roam and conquer the entire game world is a dumb idea. I would really prefer a game where I can run and gun, and not just gun. Having to go home and regear before heading back out is nice, but it would be cool to somehow up the ante on the RPG element. Like, why is it they don't have thousands of levels, rather than only two handfuls? Leveling up frequently is fun.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
By run and gun, and not just gun - I meant that I want to be able to see a hoard of mutants, and pick a few off from a distance before OUT running them somehow...perhaps on a motorbike or something. :)

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Also, the introduction of a flying machine of some type...perhaps a jetpack to get from place to place might be fun too. Perhaps not just armor and weapons are found locked away deep in military bunkers...

Status
Not open for further replies.