Fallout New Vegas Screens, Details Released

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]schmich[/nom]I've never really liked the Fallout franchise. The third one didn't feel so straight forward and this doesn't look so warm and welcoming either (I know, Fallout is all about the opposite) which isn't in the spirit of an RPG. Also, is it supposed to be a grandscale à la MMORPG or what's up with the graphics?Guess we'll have to see a bit more of the game to see what this is really made out of.[/citation]

You don't get it, and chances are you never will. The fact that you mention MMORPG proves you have no idea what you are talking about. Fallout has never been about the graphics. Its about the journey and the atmosphere.

etrom

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I guess we will have the 2010 Best Game Award with this one, just like happened in 2008 with Fallout 3 :)

Now I'll be very happy if Bethesda implement a good coop multiplayer similiar to that one found in Borderlands.

mattclary

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]I'm not too sure I like vats being back. It was fun and all, but it made the gameplay much slower. In every playthru I ended up with the lincoln repeater and vats, just headshotting my way thru the game. If it weren't an option I might've played it more the way I do with borderlands (full throttle, rambo style)[/citation]

So, don't use VATS. I didn't like it either, so just didn't use it.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Also Obsidian did Neverwinter Nights 2. After playing that game I wonder if Obsidian can make a game that isn't buggy. Chances are this one won't be as bad as Never Winter Nights 2 was in bugs since its based on the Gamebryo engine that Bethesda modified. If they don't have a hand in the actual programming of the engine, it might be good.[/citation]
Obsidian also did the second KOTOR and it crashed much less than KOTOR 1. I also found NWN2 stable after the tons of patches that seemed to take forever to download and install.
I hope the PC version will still support user MODS. Fallout 3 has a crapload of them and some are really good.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]mattclary[/nom]So, don't use VATS. I didn't like it either, so just didn't use it.[/citation]
VATS gave me some really great screen shots that I turned into wallpapers after using Photoshop Elements to clone out the reticle and other stuff.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]mattclary[/nom]So, don't use VATS. I didn't like it either, so just didn't use it.[/citation]
Well I am not like that. If a feature is there, it is to be used.

erloas

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
Meh, I've been disappointed by every Bethesda game I've played and FO3 was no exception to that.
FO3 just had nothing that interested me, there was nothing about the story or gameplay that was all that great. VATS was the only thing that made it any different from any other shooter... and VATS just never felt right to me. It was a mediocre throwback to the original fanbase but it did nothing at all to actually match any sort of combat design from the originals.

If it weren't for the 2-headed brahman, Vault Boy, and the name on the box there isn't anything in FO3 to even tie it to the originals instead of being some other generic post-apocalyptic world.

Maybe the story for this one will be better, but I doubt the gameplay or atmosphere is going to change much.

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I liked Fallout 3 a lot.... in the beginning.
After a few hours in, it got rather repetitive (there also seemed to be very few different enemies/character models) and fairly easy.
Then it just kindof.... ends.
It started off really captivating, though, but although the combat was very satisfying (if unfortunately really easy after a while) the missions and story not so much.
Something that Fallout and Fallout 2 managed to with 1/100th the technical ability. Fallout and Fallout 2 managed to stay engrossing 'til the end.
Hopefully Obsidian, who is the "go-to" dev for sequels to popular RPGs, will improve on that.
They've usually been pretty solid, so I'm optimistic.
I actually enjoyed NWN2 more than NWN1 (which I loved).
Luckily Bethesda did all of the grunt work, the engine, the combat system, artwork, etc, so Obsidian can just focus on the storyline itself.
I'm looking forward to it.

ddt529

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
There is a good mod that allows you convert action points into a sprint bar if you don't like using Vats. At least then the points aren't wasted.

ddt529

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Also, there are mods that increase the difficulty. Honestly, Bethesda games should be strictly PC for the mods. The console versions are good, but miss a lot of replayability without mod support.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Fallout is a great series, but what I really want is the next Elder Scrolls game. I loved Fallout 1, 2 was pretty good, 3 was decent. But Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion were all amazing.

CaptainBib

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I have to admit I am a little disappointed with Bethesda, handing the sequel off to Obsidian will just replace Bethesda's design quirks with Obsidian's, rather than allowing New Vegas to evolve past the pitfalls with FO3.

They also seem to be taking the Valve approach; making cash cows instead of focusing on the game they should be making: TES 5

Speaking of Valve, where (the hell) is Episode 3? I've been waiting for YEARS.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I am still playing FO3. I finished the first game and now on broken steel expansion. After almost 6 months and finally getting the full map revelaed there is STILL so many places still not explored from the original part of the game. Being a fan of the orginal wasteland and then fallout 1 & 2, I really don't see what else they could have done for FO3 to make it better. Vegas looks good, I still have a few expansion packs to go before Vegas.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]regulas[/nom]Obsidian also did the second KOTOR and it crashed much less than KOTOR 1. I also found NWN2 stable after the tons of patches that seemed to take forever to download and install.I hope the PC version will still support user MODS. Fallout 3 has a crapload of them and some are really good.[/citation]

KOTOR2 is stable but its development was rushed and it was missing great chunks of gameplay in order for them to release it in time (publisher's fault). Now the next KOTOR will be some MMO crap that I won't touch... too bad

Status
Not open for further replies.