Question , fallout3

Feb 28, 2019
Why does fallout3 crashes during the loading screen in windows XP? Can anyone help me here. I have Intel I3 3rd gen. 2100 GHz motherboard(Sandy bridge?)

Feb 28, 2019
Windows XP is not a good OS for gaming on
Yes, I know that but the game is not running in any other windows, so I watched on the YouTube that people said it would work on windows XP. Is there some kind of mod that is used to run this game, if it does can you give me the link to download(without paying) it.. anyway thanks for replying

Sadlah

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Snapped from a steam forum:

If you have the STEAM version of the game, and you don't have the file called "fallout.ini", you will have to configure a file called "fallout_default". The configuring is the exact same.

Fix 2 - Installing the 1.7 patch.
I highly reccomend installing the latest 1.7 patch from the description below. It will fix a lot of bugs and there is a chance that you will fix your problem. If you have the Steam version of the game, do not install it, because Steam automatically updates your games.

Fix 3 - Compatibility mode.
Right click your Fallout 3 shortcut (if you don't have one, make one) and click "Properties" then click on the "Compatibility" tab and check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and then from the drop-down menu choose "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)".

Fix 4 - Limiting the cores.
If you've limited the cores like i showed you in the video (adding a new command line), you can try changing/adding the command from "iNumHWThreads=2" to "iNumHWThreads=1". It will limit the game to 1 core, but it might not crash.

Fix 5 - Deleting the intro.
This might only work if your Fallout 3 is crashing right at the beginning. Go to the "fallout.ini" or "fallout_default.ini" file (i show how to get to it in the video) and delete these 3 commands:
SMainMenuMovieIntro=
SIntroSequence=
sIntroMovie=Fallout INTRO Vsk.bik.
After you do that, save the file and that should fix it.

Fix 6 - Disabling autosaving.
Some users have reported that if you disable autosaving, it should stop crashing.

Fix 7 - Resolutions.
-Open your fallout 3 file/directory
-Open FalloutLauncher
-Press Options
-Tick "Show All Resolutions"
-Change your resolution to your pc res. For example 1920x1080.
-Untick Windowed mode (if ticked).
-Start game via Fallout3.exe

Fix 8 - Having an integrated Intel graphics card.
Bethesda made it so if you have Intel HD graphics, then you cannot play the game. If you have an Intel CPU and no graphics card, then you have Intel HD graphics. Here's how to fix it:

• Download the file at http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mod...
  • Put the DLL if your Fallout 3 directory (where your FO3 executable is) and the .ini file to Documents/My Games/Fallout 3 (if you have the steam version, make sure that after copying the file you rename it to "fallout_default", if it's not already!

Method 3
1- Start the Fallout 3 Launcher. In the graphic settings, remove ALL anti-aliases.
2- SET THE GAME TO WINDOWED MODE.
3- Start the game, stay in the MAIN MENU.
4- Press Ctrl-Alt-Del access the Task Manager.
5- In the Processes Tab, Right click Fallout3 on the list.
6- Select Properties
7- Access the Compatibility Tab
8- The 1st box in this tab is called Compatibility Mode. Select Windows Vista service pack 1.
Fallout 3 was not made for Windows 7. So you need to run it in Windows XP or Vista.
Don't Panic! Nothing will change on your computer. Just that when you start the game, your computer will make the switch, it's not even visible.
9- Right Click again on Fallout3 in your Task Manager (repeat step 4)
10- Click on Set Affinity
11- You will see a screen with 2 to 4 CPUs checked. Remove them all except one.
Fallout 3 cannot run on more than 1 Core, you have to deactivate the others.
12- Apply Settings for all Users.
13- Close the Task Manager.
14.Find the FALLOUT.INI file. Find the line on a text editor that says : bUseThreadedAI=0 and change the 0 to a 1. Then press enter and write iNumHWThreads=2, save the document and try to run the game. It should then stop freezing.
15- Fallout 3 is in windowed mode, so you can go back to it and Quit.
16- Restart the game in Full Screen Mode.

Method 4

Another thing you could try doing is downloading this mod and installing it http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/20371/?

Method 5

1. Change the install path (not required for XP)
  2. Install the updated Games for Windows Live client (just for initial validation)
  3. Make some simple ini changes
  4. Avoid mods until you know the game works after leaving Vault 101.

Method 6

The game looks for Games For Windows Live at initial launch, it is not required to play the game once it has initialized. The Games for Windows Live that ships with FO3 is outdated and no longer works. Get the latest Games for Windows Marketplace Client from the link below and install it (if you bought the game from Steam, that version still requires it). That should fix you right up.