[SOLVED] Fan Congifuration Help

jonmakela00

Honorable
Feb 14, 2018
This will be a long post, sorry.

Thermaltake Core V31 case w/current fan config (blue = intake; red = exhaust) - View: https://i.imgur.com/QRjDP0a.jpg
(current config); View: https://i.imgur.com/lmY8cdp.jpg

9x 120mm Thermaltake Pure Plus ARGB fans - https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/pure-12-argb-sync-radiator-fan-tt-premium-edition-3-fan-pack.html
Asrock Pro3 Z97 mobo with a 4690k OC'd to 4.0 and cooled with a Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
GPU - EVGA 2070 Super XC
PSU - EVGA G2 650w
Displays - 2x 27" 1440p displays + 1 34" ultrawide (used for gaming) 1440p display

Upgraded from 1x 1080p monitor --> 3x 1440p, including that uw
Upgraded from RX 580 GPU --> 2070 Super
Upgraded from 2x 140mm top case fans and 7x 120mm case fans to 9x 120mm

Additional information:
Bottoms fans - View: https://i.imgur.com/VSCCAro.jpg
- you can see that I have custom cables and want to see them; however, I imagine this causes a huge blockage on air coming up from that bottom-middle fan.
I've removed all of the PCI bracket slot covers and when normally operating, I feel lots of warm air being exhausted in this area as well as from the rear exhaust fan. So warm air getting out at the rear and top-rear of the case.
When I remove the side cover during gaming, I can feel the front three fans sucking air into the case; I can't feel cool air or air flow right in front of the CPU cooler or air flow getting to the GPU. I feel in a couple of places, e.g., directly underneath the CPU cooler, under the GPU, on the side of the GPU, pockets of stagnant warm air.

General Question:
Should I have expected an increase in temps simply because I've shifted from a single monitor setup to a triple monitor setup?
When I upgraded my GPU from a XFX RX 580 to the 2070 Super and the displays from one 1080p to three 1440p, I noticed right away that my CPU was running warmer - at idle, around +5-7c and when gaming +8-10c. In other words, at idle, I went from 29c - 34c up to 34c - 42c and while gaming went from a consistent 50c to now at or above 60c and to keep it at 60c, the fans are jet turbines. Additionally, I've messed with the BIOS fan settings to set the CPU at Quiet, Standard, and Custom to no avail, meaning that the CPU cooler fan will ramp up as it needs to, but the TT fans do this huge ramp-up - ramp-down routine over and over and over.

I've tried multiple fan intake/exhaust configs as well as multiple individual fan speed configs within the Thermaltake software without any significant improvement. Running the case with the front cover off and dust filters removed. I've tried orienting the bottom, front, and top fans as intake with the one rear fan as exhaust in the hope that by sucking in a lot of air from the bottom, front, and top I would flush the CPU cooler and provide airflow to the GPU then exhaust it all out the back.

So, I'm hoping to get some help on fan configuration or perhaps a suggestion to move to an AIO.

Appreciate any tips, advice, questions...

Solution
i would remove the top intake and the middle-bottom intake. i doubt they are really doing much more than adding noise.
you are creating so much inward pressure that the air may not be flowing towards the exhaust fans as efficiently as it could.

your temp increases would have to be resulting in the GPU just producing more heat due to working harder with the multiple outputs and higher resolutions and this in turn adding heat to the area around the CPU. it may just be something you'll have to deal with using this setup. raising the CPU fan speeds should help lower these temps a little.

to avoid the extra noise use manually set chassis fan speed curve profiles either through the BIOS and/or through your motherboard control software.
for...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hot air rises naturally, so any fan located at the top, should rarely be configured as an "intake".

General Question:
Should I have expected an increase in temps simply because I've shifted from a single monitor setup to a triple monitor setup?

When I upgraded my GPU from a XFX RX 580 to the 2070 Super and the displays from one 1080p to three 1440p, I noticed right away that my CPU was running warmer - at idle, around +5-7c and when gaming +8-10c. In other words, at idle, I went from 29c - 34c up to 34c - 42c and while gaming went from a consistent 50c to now at or above 60c and to keep it at 60c, the fans are jet turbines. Additionally, I've messed with the BIOS fan settings to set the CPU at Quiet, Standard, and Custom to no avail, meaning that the CPU cooler fan will ramp up as it needs to, but the TT fans do this huge ramp-up - ramp-down routine over and over and over.

Generally speaking, no. You're potentially putting the GPU under more stress if you're gaming across multiple, so if you weren't previously pushing the GPU to (near) it's limits, I guess theoretically you could run a bit harder/warmer.

I can't think of any reason that a GPU/Monitor upgrade would increase CPU temps directly.
Perhaps the GPU is outputting more heat, which has a knock-on effect to CPU temps, but that's about the only reason I can think of.

As far as the fans ramping up/down, that's going related to the fan profile. If you're hovering ~50'C (for example), and that's the point you have set to ramp fans up (from quiet/minimal RPM <50'C to a high RPM @ 50'C), that's going to result in a ramp up/down routine as it exceeds 50'C and then drops below (once fans kick in). A more reasonable, gradual increase in fan RPM/speed is what you want to achieve here - and manually configuring is the way to go.

Reactions: jonmakela00
i would remove the top intake and the middle-bottom intake. i doubt they are really doing much more than adding noise.
you are creating so much inward pressure that the air may not be flowing towards the exhaust fans as efficiently as it could.

your temp increases would have to be resulting in the GPU just producing more heat due to working harder with the multiple outputs and higher resolutions and this in turn adding heat to the area around the CPU. it may just be something you'll have to deal with using this setup. raising the CPU fan speeds should help lower these temps a little.

to avoid the extra noise use manually set chassis fan speed curve profiles either through the BIOS and/or through your motherboard control software.
for the front & bottom try something like, 30° @ 35% > 45° @ 50% > 60° @ 85% > 70° @ 100%.
set the rear fans at a slightly higher % to allow more of the CPU heat to directly escape and to pull more of the interior air that direction.

Reactions: jonmakela00
Solution

jonmakela00

Honorable
Feb 14, 2018
Hot air rises naturally, so any fan located at the top, should rarely be configured as an "intake".

Generally speaking, no. You're potentially putting the GPU under more stress if you're gaming across multiple, so if you weren't previously pushing the GPU to (near) it's limits, I guess theoretically you could run a bit harder/warmer.

I can't think of any reason that a GPU/Monitor upgrade would increase CPU temps directly.
Perhaps the GPU is outputting more heat, which has a knock-on effect to CPU temps, but that's about the only reason I can think of.

As far as the fans ramping up/down, that's going related to the fan profile. If you're hovering ~50'C (for example), and that's the point you have set to ramp fans up (from quiet/minimal RPM <50'C to a high RPM @ 50'C), that's going to result in a ramp up/down routine as it exceeds 50'C and then drops below (once fans kick in). A more reasonable, gradual increase in fan RPM/speed is what you want to achieve here - and manually configuring is the way to go.

Thanks, Barty.

I have limited fan speed control in the Thermaltake software and don't yet understand how it interacts with the BIOS fan settings. In the Thermaltake software I can adjust whether the fan speed is PWM and I think then cap by setting a max percentage, for example, I can set PWM and set the % bar to like 40% and the fan will ramp up to but no exceed 40% of the fan's max rated rpms. I think, lols. I can set a custom case fan curve in the BIOS, but I don't know how that interacts with the Thermaltake software.

I've tried, in the Thermaltake software, to set all fans at the same percentage; setting all front intakes at a higher % than the bottom intakes and top intake thinking that I wanted undisturbed air from the front. I've also tried setting the exhaust fans % higher than the intakes hoping to draw the intake air up to and through the exhaust fans. But withthe side cover off and fans roaring, I just don't feel air flow reaching the cpu and gpu and can feel pockets of warm air.

jonmakela00

Honorable
Feb 14, 2018

for the front & bottom try something like, 30° @ 35% > 45° @ 50% > 60° @ 85% > 70° @ 100%.
set the rear fans at a slightly higher % to allow more of the CPU heat to directly escape and to pull more of the interior air that direction.

Thanks, John.

I've actually set both of those fans to Silent and 0%, so they don't ramp up at all. Placement there is pure asthetics. I think I'll leave the bottom, but remove the top front since I can't see it anyway (and maybe use this fan on the cooler).

Thanks for BIOS curve suggestion, I'll test that out. My issue then would be how to use the Thermaltake software so that it doesn't disrupt the BIOS signal. More importantly, though, wouldn't using the BIOS in this way mean that all the fans will run at the same speed if the only instruction is coming from the BIOS? Maybe I need to research more on the TT software.

wouldn't using the BIOS in this way mean that all the fans will run at the same speed if the only instruction is coming from the BIOS?
guess that would depend on the motherboard. the last MSI i had and the current ASUS have individual profiles for each fan port that could be set either through the BIOS directly or through their motherboard control software within Windows.

maybe look into some of the fan controller hubs available. i have seen some options for up to 9 fans individually controlled via software.