Question FAN connections.

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
On my Gigabyte X670E Aorus Elite
The 4 fan connectors are at bottom of motherboard, SYS_FAN 1/2/3/4
Unfortunately, 2 of the pre-installed Case fans have leads that are too short to reach these connectors.

2 options ...
There are 2 fan connectors on right hand side of the board that they can reach, although only 2 x 4 pin connectors are labelled as
SYS_FAN/5/6/7/8_pump
Can I use these for the case fans ?
If so, do they work OK as standard (I seem to recall you have to set them to be pump (full on) if used for pump)

Or do I need to get a fan extension cable (presumably a Y cable)

CPU fans are fine connected to CPU_FAN connector via a Y cable.

Lutfij

Titan
What case fans are we looking at here?

There are 2 fan connectors on right hand side of the board that they can reach, although only 2 x 4 pin connectors are labelled as SYS_FAN/5/6/7/8_pump
I can see SYS_FAN2 and SYS_FAN3 on the right of the motherboard's PCB.

Yes you can. You will need to manage the fans' RPM in BIOS.

On my Gigabyte X670E Aorus Elite
The 4 fan connectors are at bottom of motherboard, SYS_FAN 1/2/3/4
Unfortunately, 2 of the pre-installed Case fans have leads that are too short to reach these connectors.

2 options ...
There are 2 fan connectors on right hand side of the board that they can reach, although only 2 x 4 pin connectors are labelled as
SYS_FAN/5/6/7/8_pump
If so, do they work OK as standard (I seem to recall you have to set them to be pump (full on) if used for pump)

Or do I need to get a fan extension cable (presumably a Y cable)

CPU fans are fine connected to CPU_FAN connector via a Y cable.
Sure, that's what SYS_FAN connectors are for. More than likely is that one 8/Pump can be set for either use.

The labelling is not relevant. What matters is how the connectors are controlled. If you are able to access the motherboard's bios (or if there is a manual for the motherboard's bios) you can determine how each connector is controlled, (e.g. cpu temp or motherboard temp, etc.) and what ability you have to set a fan curve for each connector.