[SOLVED] Fan control issue

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019
This post maybe belongs under software, but starting here as I am really not sure whether this is a hw or sw issue.

Setup:

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E mobo
Cooler master masterliquid 360 - fans are 4 pin. Pwr connected to the cpu fan header with a 3 way splitter 4 pin to 4 pin. This works fine.

3 x Cooler master 140mm 4 pin. Pwr connected to the case fan header #1 with a 3 way splitter 4 pin to 4 pin
1 x Cooler master 140mm 4 pin. Pwr connected to the case fan header #2

Issue is the last two "lines" above. Both works. Individual rpms are shown. Can be controlled. But they are somehow linked together. I cant stop or change speed on one without the other doing the exact same.

How the hell is this possible when they are using two different headers on the mobo???

Im using Fan Xpert4 for controlling all above.

Solution
If you don't find such a setting, then it may be that the MB manufacturer economized by providing you with two rotational speed sense channels, but only rotational speed control channels, hoping that nobody would notice or care.

Lutfij

Titan
Mind sharing the make and model of the splitter you use for the 3 fans on one header? On another note, the 3 fans on that one header will be shown on the BIOS and any other app as one fan...due to the way they need to be wired in order to operate.

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019
Mind sharing the make and model of the splitter you use for the 3 fans on one header? On another note, the 3 fans on that one header will be shown on the BIOS and any other app as one fan...due to the way they need to be wired in order to operate.
I know that. Thats not the issue. Read my post again :)

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019
It sounds like the motherboard is varying the PWM signal to both case fan headers equally to maintain proportionality of air flow at all speed settings.

Is there, perhaps, a BIOS setting that links and unlinks the two fan header outputs together?
It sounds like the motherboard is varying the PWM signal to both case fan headers equally to maintain proportionality of air flow at all speed settings.

Is there, perhaps, a BIOS setting that links and unlinks the two fan header outputs together?
I checked the Q-fan control in the bios. No options to link (or delink). However, I do agree with you that its probably in the bios settings somewhere...