[SOLVED] Fan controller placement suggestions

AG90

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Hey all,

Silly question here, but I have a bit of a problem (or maybe it is not a problem at all if it can stay like this), so bear with me, I am somewhat of a new builder :)

I tried putting the fan controller directly to the back of the motherboard tray, but it is a little bit thicker and the side panel had some trouble closing (case is Thermaltake H100 TG, nothing fancy). The next best solution considering the length of the fan cables was to tuck it in front of the cables as seen here, though I had to cut the zip-tie which was holding it because it served no purpose, hence the controller is basically "floating" in the air and leaning on some cables (it is pretty light-weight, so there should be no issues). The only "problem" with this option is that the 24-pin cable and USB 3.2 Gen 1 header cable had to go underneath through the lowest cutout, and not the one next to the mobo plugs for them, so the cable management had to suffer a little bit - this can be seen here. Ignore the GPU by the way, it is only temporary, and sorry for the quality of the photos, I had to take them in a rush at that moment.

My question is should I leave the controller like this and continue with the life for now? Or if anyone has any other suggestion considering the whole cable management inside - feel free to let me know, it is highly appreciated :)

I tried putting the fan controller directly to the back of the motherboard tray

it's fine wherever you decide to put it as long as the cables are not being stretched too much or the pins aren't being bent.
you could also use some double sided sticky pads to place it anywhere there is room.
or even place it in one your drive trays if the cables are long enough to reach.

Reactions: AG90

AG90

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
it's fine wherever you decide to put it as long as the cables are not being stretched too much or the pins aren't being bent.
you could also use some double sided sticky pads to place it anywhere there is room.
or even place it in one your drive trays if the cables are long enough to reach.
Thanks for the quick reply!

The ideal solution is to stick it to the motherboard tray, but alas as I said, the side panel is having troubles closing. Drive trays are way down on the other side, so the rear fan cable cannot reach them, and the nearest one is occupied by a HDD. I was just worried if the controller wouldn't pull down the fan cables while it is floating between the side panel and the cable management channel, but it seems that it should be alright?

AG90

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
if anything i would maybe use some tape to secure the cables in place a bit more.
but the controller is pretty light so multiple fans attached and the zip-tie securing it should be more than enough to hold everything in place.
The zip-tie had to go unfortunately, it didn't do much so it was just in a way, but the multiple fan cables should hold it in place as you said. Thanks for the help!