[SOLVED] Fan Curves

1hip

Prominent
Jul 11, 2020
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on how to step up my fan curves. I've added some useful info below. Thank you.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
GPU:2080 Super
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C
  • (1) Fractal design Fan (Rear Exhaust. Max RPM 1200)
  • (2) Corsair Fan (Front Intake fans. Max RPM 2500)
  • (2) Corsair Fan (Top Exhaust fans. Max RPM 2500)

Solution
Truthfully, my suggestion would be to remove the fractal design fan in the rear, move one of the two top exhaust fans to that location and do NOT use a second top fan. Use only the top-rear and the rear exhaust fans. The reason being, when you use a middle or front exhaust fan in the top it tend to "steal" the cooler ambient airflow from the CPU cooler, giving it no benefit and creating a lot of noise bringing air into the case for no reason. Basically, making two of your fans useless and noisy needlessly.

You certainly COULD move that Fractal fan to the bottom front in the third fan location, or just get another matching fan if the other two are RGB models, so that it looks uniform. If they are not RGB, then it won't hurt to put a...
Truthfully, my suggestion would be to remove the fractal design fan in the rear, move one of the two top exhaust fans to that location and do NOT use a second top fan. Use only the top-rear and the rear exhaust fans. The reason being, when you use a middle or front exhaust fan in the top it tend to "steal" the cooler ambient airflow from the CPU cooler, giving it no benefit and creating a lot of noise bringing air into the case for no reason. Basically, making two of your fans useless and noisy needlessly.

You certainly COULD move that Fractal fan to the bottom front in the third fan location, or just get another matching fan if the other two are RGB models, so that it looks uniform. If they are not RGB, then it won't hurt to put a third fan up front and may actually help suppress dust a bit.

Then as far as the fan curves are concerned, assuming you do not use the fractal fan (But even if you do), I like to run a curve that sits at about 32% at any temp up to about 45°C (Assuming the use of the "system" or PCH thermal sources, which can be set to the source of your choice per header in the BIOS) that ramps up from there in a straight line to 100% fan operation at about 70°C. Keep in mind, this is for case fans only and is assuming the use of motherboard/system, PCH or VRM thermal source, not CPU. You do not want to assign the CPU as the thermal source for your case fans or you'll be annoyed as hell when they start constantly going up and down as the CPU sees load and idle conditions change, which will happen frequently.

Or, you can just use the preset silent or standard curve that all boards have as an option as well.

Solution