[SOLVED] Fan go brrrrrr

kingshalom

Prominent
Dec 17, 2019
I woke up to my laptop fan screaming in my face and out of shock I switched it off but the sound was so alarming, I was so confused. This morning I switched it on and it did the same thing then I took it to my brother to look at and he got tired of the loud noise the fan was making so he hit the table under the laptop and the noise instantly left. Once in a while, it does that again and I hit the table under it and immediately the sound disappears...please what exactly is happening with it?

Solution
Most likely that there's either a cable hitting the fan or the ball bearings inside the fan are worn. Unless you're knowledgable, take it to the nearest repair shop. Labour will cost you a bit but replacement fans are usually only a couple bucks.

Although I agree with @Ralston18 backup advice, always better safe than sorry but this issue shouldn't affect any saved data whatsoever.

Ralston18

Titan
Is the "screaming" an audio (speaker) sound or mechanical such as a HDD drive or fan perhaps. Identifying the source of the sound is important to know if at all possible

Update your post to include full laptop specs and OS information.

Then stop hitting the table under the laptop. Very likely that something may be loose inside the laptop and the "hit" temporarily reseats or moves something about.

Eventually the hit will either not work or make things worse.

Start by backing up all important data on the laptop at least 2X to other locations off of the laptop. Verify that the data is recoverable and readable.

Then take the laptop to a reputable shop or person for examination and repair.

Most likely that there's either a cable hitting the fan or the ball bearings inside the fan are worn. Unless you're knowledgable, take it to the nearest repair shop. Labour will cost you a bit but replacement fans are usually only a couple bucks.

Although I agree with @Ralston18 backup advice, always better safe than sorry but this issue shouldn't affect any saved data whatsoever.

Solution