Question Fan Help for Fractual R4 Define Case

Spartagus423

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
Here is my PC Parts

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Spartagus423/saved/#view=cd6TCJ

So I built this as my first PC and I am added some fans in the case.

2 - 140mm Fans in Front as Intake
1 Exhaust fan at top-back of fan that came with it.

I have the PCU blowing the air out the bottom of the case and my Noctura U15 as my CPU Cooler with the fan blowing intake into the cpu.

I also have the 2080 Ti with the 2 fans blowing to bottom of the case.

So here is my question. When I play games my temps go from idle 55 to about 80 Degrees and sometimes the fans pick up in game but never go above 80...I have seen 81 on my GPU when it was hot in my house but never above.

Do I put a 120MM fan for intake under my 2080 Ti or do I put it as Exhaust point down in the case? I have been told by different people some say have an Exhaust fan of 140mm pointing out the top of the case and a 120 mm as intake at the bottom of the case. But Not sure.

This is my first PC I ever built and I got a new 144hz monitor which I have been told adds more power so I was just curious what I should do? People have told 80-81 isn't that bad but I just wanted to make sure. I love the Dust Filters on bottom and in the front of the case. 80-81 usually is only when gaming.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
"I have the PCU blowing the air out the bottom of the case and my Noctura U15 as my CPU Cooler with the fan blowing intake into the cpu."
???

"I also have the 2080 Ti with the 2 fans blowing to bottom of the case."
???

Could you post some pictures of the inside of the chassis so we can see how the fans look? The way you worded the above statements is a bit weird.
[Use imgur.com, postimages.org, or imgbb.com]

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
AH - gotcha.
Well, I'll take another look at the questions then.
Do I put a 120MM fan for intake under my 2080 Ti or do I put it as Exhaust point down in the case? I have been told by different people some say have an Exhaust fan of 140mm pointing out the top of the case and a 120 mm as intake at the bottom of the case. But Not sure.
No for both. The restrictions down there are too hard for bottom fans to be effective.

You'll have to take a small tradeoff to get the gpu thermals down. You'll need 2 top exhaust and rear exhaust fans, but you'll probably start seeing the cpu cross 80C instead. 80C on the gpu isn't bad though.

This is my first PC I ever built and I got a new 144hz monitor which I have been told adds more power so I was just curious what I should do?
Cap fps to monitor's refresh rate if you think it's that bad.
Some people like to run in game fps all willy-nilly, not aware, or don't care, that doing so increases power consumption.

Spartagus423

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
So with my current setup I don't need to worry about my temp? My other temps are between like 55-60 on all my other pieces at least Speedfan says. My GPU is the only thing that goes to 80 when playing games but aside from that idle it is about 55 degrees

Spartagus423

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
Thank you for the help

so the additional fans aren't need..I bought a 120mm and another 140mm Noctura fans just in case I needed to add them in. Just wanted to ask questions to see if I needed to worry. This is my first ever novice pc build I ever made for gaming mainly. I just went from 16GB Ram to 32GB in the last week and I do enjoy the system and wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

Appreciate your help Thank You.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You're welcome!

If you still have the idea to add those 2 fans, use them as top and rear exhausts. It'll help gpu thermals, but the cpu will go up a few degrees or so, because the D15's fans were getting air from both the front and top(assuming the top mesh covers weren't used).

Spartagus423

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
I have the one Exhaust Stock fan for Exhaust at top and there is no space to add another fan on the back for exhaust the only room could be top or bottom but my case is pretty much closed on all sides.