Question Fan lights up but will not spin

Jun 16, 2020
Images here for a visual: View: https://imgur.com/a/5N9yHSH

Hi guys, please help! The fan that came with my case lights up but will not spin. No case manual was provided or can be found online. I have contacted the case company (Gamemax), to no reply.

There is one RGB 3 pin connector (image attached) that is not plugged into the motherboard as I do not understand how this goes in and if it is necessary.
I am also under the impression that this connector is for powering the LED and may not be related to having the fan spin.
If this connection is required, the places I have on my motherboard are shown in the attached image - where would it fit?
(I wonder if I need an adapter of some kind)

The power for the fan hub is connected via molex to the power supply (see image).
Thank you,
Grellow

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
First, you don't have 1 thing. You have 2. You have a fan and you have lights. They are totally seperate things, even if they are grouped together on one item.

So lighting issues are totally seperate from fan operation.

Second, RGB and ARGB are way different. They may look pretty close, but act and work very differently and require different headers. The connector in the picture is a 4pin ARGB and will not work with a RGB system.

So you'll need to figure out if your fans are actually RGB or ARGB lighting, and if your motherboard actually has a header for that system.

But that's just lighting, not fan operation. For that you'll need to follow the pathway from motherboard header to hub to fans etc, ignoring the lighting circuit.

Jun 16, 2020
First, you don't have 1 thing. You have 2. You have a fan and you have lights. They are totally seperate things, even if they are grouped together on one item.

So lighting issues are totally seperate from fan operation.

Second, RGB and ARGB are way different. They may look pretty close, but act and work very differently and require different headers. The connector in the picture is a 4pin ARGB and will not work with a RGB system.

So you'll need to figure out if your fans are actually RGB or ARGB lighting, and if your motherboard actually has a header for that system.

But that's just lighting, not fan operation. For that you'll need to follow the pathway from motherboard header to hub to fans etc, ignoring the lighting circuit.
Hey Karadjgne - So, the case fan in question only has one 5 pin connector (I expect one pin is for RGB), and no other wires. It connects to the board item shown in the image. The fan is not directly plugged into the motherboard (since it is 5 pin).

The 5-pin fan connector does not squeeze into the 4 pin fan sys header.

My main mission here is to allow the fan to spin, I don't mind if the RGB does not work.

Any ideas on what research I can do from here?