[SOLVED] Fan question for proper airflow in Lian li TU150 itx case

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
I'm building a new, itx pc with the lian li tu150 case. In this case, there is one 120mm fan slot in the front of the case and room for 2, 120 mm fans at the bottom of the case where the graphics card will sit. Currently, I have one 120 mm fan placed in the front of the case and one 120 mm place at the bottom (which sits more towards the front of the case, slightly past the mobo). I also have a scythe fuma 2 cpu cooler, which is a pretty massive cooler. So much so that I can't fit a rear 120mm fan at the back of the case for exhaust, so I'm hoping the two fans will pull in air from the front and bottom and the cpu cooler will pull that and have enough power to exhaust it out the back of the case (which the cooler's second heat sink sits right against the back of the case). My questions are:

1.) Do mothoerborads typically allow the rpm control of individual fans so that I can maybe increase the rpms of the front fan to help facility airflow to the cpu cooler? Would that even be necesary?
2.) I have another, 120 mm fan I can place on the bottom of the case (towards the back of the case) which will also be directly under the graphics cards. Since this fan will sit directly inline (or even slightly behind) my cpu cooler would it potentially be bad to have this fan? Since the air from this fan will flow in to the bottom of the cpu cooler instead of through the front where the first cpu fan is?

Solution
You can't split up the fans, not without a controller. You'll get 2x fan headers on mITX, and one is for the cpu. You'll splitter the cpu fans and splitter the êx case fans and call it a day. That's what's nice about mITX, the volume. There isn't much, so a 50cfm fan goes a very long way to filling up that volume quickly. Figure you have @ 15litres of volume in that Tu-150, your standard ATX mid tower has @ 45litres. Big difference to a 50cfm fan.

The fuma2 is massive only in proportion to that case lol, in an ATX mid tower it's tiny compared to a NH-D15 or Assassin III.

For mITX, the Tu-150 is very respectable, so not a bad choice at all. Mu sub-12litre ncase m.1 is also Lian-Li built, and has 0 case fans. Just 2x 240mm radiators and...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Here's an interesting idea: I think you don't need any extra fans.
The FUMA 2 alone can do intake and exhaust by itself thanks to the small profile of that chassis. Same deal with the gpu you choose to use.

I'm sure it looks nice with the interior filled up with fans, but they aren't very practical when the inlets and outlets are so darn close.
Play around with it and see - if you don't mind. You might find that extra fans are detrimental.

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
Ya, thats what Im thinking but wanted to run the idea by others as well. Just wasn't sure about optimal fan count for a smaller case as well as how much placement of fans (such as a fan sitting directly below CPU cooler) can effect proper air flow.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You'll never know unless you test it.
Take my H500P Mesh, for example. With the hardware I currently use(first spoiler), what do you think would be the optimal fan setup in it?
Answer: I've got no exhausts in here. I found that they more or less got in the way of the air cooler that already does a good job of exhaust. 3x NF-A14s pushing through the Celsius S36 rad and 3x NF-S12As pulling through as front intake. That's it.

The chassis design and hardware will influence what works best in everyone's situation.

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
Interesting. Well ya I'll see what I can work out. I will definitely try and run a few 'tests' but it's always a hassle to try and do so in a cramped apartment lol.

Love those ITX builds. I have done several with lian-li cases, but not the TU150.
What is the cpu and the gpu that you will have inside?

I think your current fan setup is likely to do the job.
Whatever fresh air the two intakes draw in will find an exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.

In a small case, I would favor a blower style cooler for the graphics card, but that is likely a moot point here.

Motherboards will have one or more fan headers that can be used to control fan speeds.
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
ITX motherboards may not have as many headers as full sized motherboards.
Even one header can control two fans via a fan splitter.
I happen to like the constant drone of a fixed fan speed better so long as it is not excessive.

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
Love those ITX builds. I have done several with lian-li cases, but not the TU150.
What is the cpu and the gpu that you will have inside?

I think your current fan setup is likely to do the job.
Whatever fresh air the two intakes draw in will find an exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.

In a small case, I would favor a blower style cooler for the graphics card, but that is likely a moot point here.

Motherboards will have one or more fan headers that can be used to control fan speeds.
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
ITX motherboards may not have as many headers as full sized motherboards.
Even one header can control two fans via a fan splitter.
I happen to like the constant drone of a fixed fan speed better so long as it is not excessive.
Okay, thanks for the reply. And it will be a ryzen 7 3700x with the Asus strix itx x570 motherboard and, eventually, a 1660 super gpu. Right now the gpu is the evga gtx 780

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can't split up the fans, not without a controller. You'll get 2x fan headers on mITX, and one is for the cpu. You'll splitter the cpu fans and splitter the êx case fans and call it a day. That's what's nice about mITX, the volume. There isn't much, so a 50cfm fan goes a very long way to filling up that volume quickly. Figure you have @ 15litres of volume in that Tu-150, your standard ATX mid tower has @ 45litres. Big difference to a 50cfm fan.

The fuma2 is massive only in proportion to that case lol, in an ATX mid tower it's tiny compared to a NH-D15 or Assassin III.

For mITX, the Tu-150 is very respectable, so not a bad choice at all. Mu sub-12litre ncase m.1 is also Lian-Li built, and has 0 case fans. Just 2x 240mm radiators and 2x 120mm x25mm and 2x 120mm x15mm Noctua rad fans.

It's not uncommon for ppl to remove the gpu shroud and just use both the bottom fans as gpu fans/intakes

Last edited:
Solution