[SOLVED] Fan size for customs case (200 or 140mm)?

Apr 8, 2019
Hello all!

I'm building a custom PC case where performance, silence, future-proofing, and aesthetics are top priority and space isn't really a limitation (within reason). I've been thinking of using 2x200mm fans cooling 2 radiators of the same size and an additional 1-2 large fans sucking air into the case and 1x140mm exhaust fan. I'm second-guessing the fan size though--will they have enough power to effectively cool the radiators or would 3x140 be more effective? I was planning to put them in a "pull" configuration but "push-pull" could also be an option. Or would a thicker radiator ease airflow through it? Adding a second set of radiator fans takes up roughly the same space as increasing radiator thickness from 4.5cm to 8.5cm; doing both would be possible but that leads to my last question: how much does limited space in exhaust airflow limit flow? Does constricted airflow affect intake and exhaust equally or is one more susceptible than the other?

For what it's worth, the case layout is a bit unorthodox. It's horizonal, optionally rack-mounted, and 225 or 270mm tall (5-6U) and roughly 550mm deep. Radiators would be mounted horizonally in front, sucking cool air in from the bottom and then venting warm air out the sides. 1-2 large fans would suck air into the rest of the case through the bottom and venting it out the back above the IO plate with other vents possible where needed due to positive pressure. CPU, GPU, and chipset would all be liquid-cooled eventually with upgrades going in phases as money becomes available.

Thanks a lot for giving this a read and feedback is deeply appreciated! Concrete details on airflow and cooling have proven tricky to find and process and I could definitely use some wisdom from those more experienced :)

Cheers,
Noah

Solution
I would do 140s or 120s because that is a more standard size. You can get almost any CFM or RPM desired with those two sizes. Even radiators have much more variety in 120 or 140mm width. The selection for 200mm square radiators is limited.

kanewolf

Titan
I would do 140s or 120s because that is a more standard size. You can get almost any CFM or RPM desired with those two sizes. Even radiators have much more variety in 120 or 140mm width. The selection for 200mm square radiators is limited.

Solution