Question Fan speed control question

SHMIKO_S14A

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Hey guys,

I currently have 4 case fans that I want to be speed controlled by the motherboard because they are all currently running at 100% off a molex and they are pretty loud.

The fans are all 3 pin fans (non PWM), Corsair AF120 x 1 and AF140 x 3.

I was looking at the Phanteks universal fan controller, which says it can control the speed for 3 pin fans unlike most other controllers, but it looks like it requires a 4 pin PWM input from the motherboard.

My motherboard only has a 3 pin system fan header, but a 4 pin CPU header.

Is it possible to run the fan controller from the CPU fan header? Or do I need a 4 pin PWM system fan header on the motherboard to make this setup work?

The phanteks controller comes with a manual remote control aswell, requiring no input from the motherboard and allowing 40%, 70% or 100% but I would prefer to have it all controlled automatically via the motherboard if possible.

Any other ideas as to how I can get this setup to work would be appreciated.

Nov 2, 2019
Please share the mother board name here so that we can research further.

But you can refer to this article to know more about 3 pin and 4 pin fans.
https://www.howtogeek.com/273575/what-is-the-difference-between-three-and-four-pin-cpu-fans/

In short,
3 pin fan can only be controlled by adjusting voltage through the fan, 4 pin fan can be controled by sending the signal through the 4th pin - signal pin.

Look around in your mobo's manual. Does it mention anything about official software controlling the fan? Or you can find 3rd party software to control fan's speed.

For the mobo's comewith 4 pin fan header, I belive that they usually come together with official software to control its fan's speed.

SHMIKO_S14A

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Hi, my motherboard is out of an old HP Elite system, it’s a Pegatron 2AB6. Not a mainstream board by any means so there’s little documentation on it.

There is only a 4 pin CPU fan header and a 3 pin sys fan header on the board.