Question Fan spins all the time after changing Intel graphics settings ?

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
I have an HP Sprout 23-s020 AIO computer and recently did some changes in the intel graphics control panel where I changed the general settings in 3D to performance instead of balanced mode and now fan runs all the time. I switched it back to Balanced mode, but it still runs all the time.
Temps are all good. CPU 45, GPU 39, SSD 32.

Is this a dust issue, should I blow it out? Did that settings change suddenly trigger the fans and now it stays on maybe cause of dust?
is it possible this coincided with my windows update and that is the issue? Not sure.
thanks for any advice.

Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2B16
Intel® Core™ i7-4790S CPU @ 3.20GHz
16 GB RAM DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 745A
Intel® HD Graphics 4600
SSD WDC WDBNCE0010PNC

Edition Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Version (Build) 21H2 (10.0.19044)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Regarding:

"I switched it back to Balanced mode, but it still runs all the time. "

After switching back are you sure that you clicked the applicable "Save", "Ok", "Apply", or otherwise acknowledged the change?

It can be all too easy to miss that step. Sometimes you need to scroll down further down the applicable window to even see the button.

= = = =

And if the system is dusty then do clean out dust and debris.

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Regarding:

"I switched it back to Balanced mode, but it still runs all the time. "

After switching back are you sure that you clicked the applicable "Save", "Ok", "Apply", or otherwise acknowledged the change?

It can be all too easy to miss that step. Sometimes you need to scroll down further down the applicable window to even see the button.

= = = =

And if the system is dusty then do clean out dust and debris.

I also put info on original post.
here it is:

Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2B16
Intel® Core™ i7-4790S CPU @ 3.20GHz
16 GB RAM DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 745A
Intel® HD Graphics 4600
SSD WDC WDBNCE0010PNC

Edition Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Version (Build) 21H2 (10.0.19044)

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
Reinstall the Intel Graphics Control Panel software.

Be sure that you obtain the download from an Intel website.

Not some website or URL that happens to have "Intel" in the path name.

Did the reinstall of the Graphics Driver through Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (which includes Intel Graphics Control Panel). Intel says that's the method for 5th Generation and under. Fan still runs high all the time.
My memory seems to be higher than normal though... bouncing around 28 - 30%. Background and windows processes don't seem to be anything crazy though. It used to idle around 16%.

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
Reinstall the Intel Graphics Control Panel software.

Be sure that you obtain the download from an Intel website.

Not some website or URL that happens to have "Intel" in the path name.

Found out what was taking up memory ... while idle... Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed
turned that off.

Now back at 19% idle. but fan still on. haha!

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
Something else may still be running.

Check Task Manager > Startup, check Task Scheduler.

Look in Process Explorer (Microsoft, free):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

I see IUM-F1E24CA0-B63E-4F13-A9E3-4ADE3BFF3473 on task scheduler. it says it is an Intel(R) Update Manager helps you keep your system up-to-date. Keep this task running to be notified automatically when new updates become available.

I don't see anything else unusual.

Ralston18

Titan
Just to be sure is the executable shown in Task > Startup or in Task Scheduler?

Where (path, folder) is that Update Manager located?

Certainly something to take a closer look at.

Start here:

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/drivers/essentials/intel-driver-update/

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/...e-improves-windows-11-windows-10-performance/

Use the links to learn more and then do additional searches based on what you learn and otherwise discover.

Do be cautious about third party links offering to fix the problem. Some of those links will show up no matter what problem you are addressing.

Some may suggest registry edits: Registry editing is a last resort and only to be attempted after a full backup of the host system and the registry itself.

And many of those type links will do all they can to push some software on you. Be very careful.

I suspect some buggy or corrupted software. Perhaps a conflict somewhere.

One thing to try is to disable the update manager as a matter of elimination. Just keep careful notes on what you do and where you make those changes.

Just in case.....

As always, be certain that all important data is backed up to locations off of the host computer. Verify that backups are recoverable and readable.

Reactions: Tommy Sawyer

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021

Start here:

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/...e-improves-windows-11-windows-10-performance/

Use the links to learn more and then do additional searches based on what you learn and otherwise discover.

Do be cautious about third party links offering to fix the problem. Some of those links will show up no matter what problem you are addressing.

Some may suggest registry edits: Registry editing is a last resort and only to be attempted after a full backup of the host system and the registry itself.

And many of those type links will do all they can to push some software on you. Be very careful.

One thing to try is to disable the update manager as a matter of elimination. Just keep careful notes on what you do and where you make those changes.

Just in case.....

As always, be certain that all important data is backed up to locations off of the host computer. Verify that backups are recoverable and readable.

Thanks. I appreciate your help on this. I'm not too knowledgeable about all of this.
it's in Task Scheduler, not in startup.
Path folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Update Manager\bin\iumsvc.exe

I did uninstall the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant after updating the driver and using that tool. It was a little weird on the uninstall. There were two items from Intel to uninstall.
It was definitely from the legit Intel site though.
I'm wondering if the IUM Update Manager is left over from that. I'm not sure because I never really looked out for that before.

flying out today for work, I'll have to work on this when I get back. thanks

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021

Start here:

Just in case.....

I think I just created more work and bigger problems now. I did a windows system restore back to 5/26/2022 and tried that,,,, and now I get the
Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt Error on blue screen :eek:
I'm not sure if I can fix it with chkdsk /r c: but I'm trying that... then i will do
1. sfc /scannow 2. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

I'm thinking I will have to do a reinstall from my macrium backup.

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021

Start here:

Just in case.....

I restored to a later date now, and it works again. I changed power plan to Balanced and it's back to slower fan speed. Weird how changing that makes that difference. Also went balanced mode on the Intel Graphics Control Panel Settings.
thanks.

TRENDING THREADS