[SOLVED] Fan tuning help

May 16, 2020
Im trying to figure out what the best settings are for my step-up. I havent had any overheating problems but when i play Doom the junction temp stays at 98c-100c GPU temp sits at 74c, also i just have case fans but next week im going to pick some corsair 120mm fans.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor
GIGABYTE X570 GAMING X
16GB DDR4-3200MHz G.SKILL
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
600 Watt Thermaltake 80 PLUS Gold
DEEPCOOL GAMERSTORM 240mm CASTLE 240 EX Liquid Cooler
512 GB ADATA XPG

Solution
In bios I would change your fan profiles to PWM, and run your fan speeds at default settings. Gigabyte bios has a quiet, standard, and performance fan profiles you can test out. Play some games for about an hour or run a stress test to get a baseline. You wanna see how hot the CPU and GPU get. From there start manually tweeking fan speed till you see an improvement in temperature. Controlling the fans through software like SIV makes this easier, because you don't have to go back into bios every time to change a setting, and you can change fan speed in real time and see how it effects performance. You can then apply those setting perminently in bios if you choose, or just use the software and have multiple fan profiles for different...
Im trying to figure out what the best settings are for my step-up. I havent had any overheating problems but when i play Doom the junction temp stays at 98c-100c GPU temp sits at 74c, also i just have case fans but next week im going to pick some corsair 120mm fans.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor
GIGABYTE X570 GAMING X
16GB DDR4-3200MHz G.SKILL
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
600 Watt Thermaltake 80 PLUS Gold
DEEPCOOL GAMERSTORM 240mm CASTLE 240 EX Liquid Cooler
512 GB ADATA XPG
That's going to take some experimenting on your part as it depends on so many factors. I can tell you only about radiator fans and how I do i I set pump at full speed and radiator fans the curve to start with minimal RPM at starting temperature and straight line to max RPM at 65c.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Your getting those temps on Doom 2016 or Eternal?

You didn't mention which 5700xt you have, but those temps are fine with only 3 case fans. FYI ignore your Junction Temp. That is info your card needs to calculate boost. Its nice to know, but it causes confusion and the Current Temp is all you really need to focus on.
(but in your case you have about 10c of headroom before you hit thermal junction limit 110c, so that means your card can get hotter before it begins to thermal throttle, either way Doom is extremely efficient so I am not surprised)

Are you picking up the Corsair fans to swap out the ones you already have, or are you adding them to the rig? If you are swapping your current fans with the Corsair fans you are not going to see a significant difference in cooling performance (but your rig may be quieter), but if you are adding 3 more then that is a different story.

What case are you using, and what configuration are your current case and AIO fans oriented? You can post a pics if that is easier.

May 16, 2020
Doom Eternal and im using RX 5700 XT GIGABYTE GAMING OC 8gb, yeah im going to get 4 120mm. 3 in the front and one for the exhaust. i got a ibuypower aluminum case and the AIO is mounted to the top, I did play with the fan curve settings an played for a hour was getting 65c-68c

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Doom Eternal and im using RX 5700 XT GIGABYTE GAMING OC 8gb, yeah im going to get 4 120mm. 3 in the front and one for the exhaust. i got a ibuypower aluminum case and the AIO is mounted to the top, I did play with the fan curve settings an played for a hour was getting 65c-68c
in the 60s is a good temp, even low to mid 70s isn't bad

all my fans are set at around 900 RPM, and when temps reach 70c they spin at 100% until the temps drop below 70

my water pump is set to about 2900 RPM

but its all about airflow, you don't really need high RPM all the time to keep things cool. you eventually hit a point of diminishing return the faster the RPMs are. so I try to tune the get the smoothest airflow from front to back as possible

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
you have two options

you can adjust them in BIOS, (in bios) go to smart fan 5 and you can control your case fans (as long as they are PWM 4pin or Voltage 3pin) and water pump through there
(case fans and rad fans that are not directly connected to the motherboard cannot be controlled)

the other option is SIV (system information viewer) you can find it here
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-GAMING-X-rev-11/support#support-dl-utility
there is other software but this works with gigabyte boards guaranteed

Are those case fans PWM or 3 pin ? Headers for them should be set accordingly to PWM or DC control for better control over their speed.
and as count mike said, regardless of which you use to control the fans go into bios first and make sure the correct settings are in bios to match the fans, the board will default to auto, but its better to set it if you know what kind of fans you have

May 16, 2020
you have two options

you can adjust them in BIOS, (in bios) go to smart fan 5 and you can control your case fans (as long as they are PWM 4pin or Voltage 3pin) and water pump through there
(case fans and rad fans that are not directly connected to the motherboard cannot be controlled)

the other option is SIV (system information viewer) you can find it here
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-GAMING-X-rev-11/support#support-dl-utility
there is other software but this works with gigabyte boards guaranteed

and as count mike said, regardless of which you use to control the fans go into bios first and make sure the correct settings are in bios to match the fans, the board will default to auto, but its better to set it if you know what kind of fans you have

Soo what should i set the bios fans to? just trying to get a feel for all this, im pretty new and i dont really want to mess something up ha

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
In bios I would change your fan profiles to PWM, and run your fan speeds at default settings. Gigabyte bios has a quiet, standard, and performance fan profiles you can test out. Play some games for about an hour or run a stress test to get a baseline. You wanna see how hot the CPU and GPU get. From there start manually tweeking fan speed till you see an improvement in temperature. Controlling the fans through software like SIV makes this easier, because you don't have to go back into bios every time to change a setting, and you can change fan speed in real time and see how it effects performance. You can then apply those setting perminently in bios if you choose, or just use the software and have multiple fan profiles for different uses. Its all personal preference, but I balance my performance to noise. I can get my system to run cooler than it does now, but it would be really loud. I can also get it to run dead silent, but it would run a lot warmer. So I generally balance these out and meet somewhere in the middle. It takes a lot of tweeking, but thats half the fun.

Last edited:
Solution
May 16, 2020
So i leave the AIO on voltage since its plugged in to the motherboard? yeah i will set those today an do some testing, but my fan settings on Radeon Software keeps resetting :mad:

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
if the AIO is a 4 pin it should be set to PWM, if its a 3 pin then yes, Voltage is correct

mine resets every time also, (saving a preset will help with that) i've just learned to live with it, I really only switch my graphics card setting when I am gaming anyways, for normal use the factory settings are fine

May 16, 2020
if the AIO is a 4 pin it should be set to PWM, if its a 3 pin then yes, Voltage is correct

mine resets every time also, (saving a preset will help with that) i've just learned to live with it, I really only switch my graphics card setting when I am gaming anyways, for normal use the factory settings are fine
It resets when i open WoW, over time will cause damage with me changing the settings back to what i had because it does ramps up?