Question fan whirring at high speeds even with low cpu and ram usage

jefrey195762

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2016
my 15.6 asus vivobook with n5000 processor and 4gb ram runs its fan without needing cooling--sometimes with 40 percent cpu usage and 50 percent ram usage. no option to stop fan in bios. the noise is very loud and aggravating. any advice?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You see 40% cpu usage, but that can easily be 100% on 3 cores and a lower % on the rest, averaging out to 40%. Those 100% cores can run extremely high temps, the heat will also radiate to the lesser used cores, adding to overall temp of the cpu and driving the fan hard.

There's no simple and easy answer to high fan speeds other than high enough temps to require such, whether that's due to loads, thermal paste, gpu, heat pipe design etc.

jefrey195762

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2016
thanks so much for your quick reply. don't see anything in speedfan report that shows any core using close to 100 percent and the temperature typically reads nothing higher than 40 degrees. even feeling the laptop body indicates that when it's perfectly cool fan turns on loudly and when it's warm often fan is quiet. made several checks for malware and it's clean. i'm afraid to bring it to a lab to get cleaned because last visit technician messed up and made several keys unusable.

Last edited:
thanks so much for your quick reply. don't see anything in speedfan report that shows any core using close to 100 percent and the temperature typically reads nothing higher than 40 degrees. even feeling the laptop body indicates that when it's perfectly cool fan turns on loudly and when it's warm often fan is quiet. made several checks for malware and it's clean. i'm afraid to bring it to a lab to get cleaned because last visit technician messed up and made several keys unusable.
I would suspect Speedfan interfering with BIOS settings, It's very obsolete software,

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
15+ years ago, fan software was essentially non-existent. You had 3 choices, bios SpeedFan and motherboard software.

Bios was 2 points on a linear chart, not a curve. You set min-max and let it rip. Motherboard software sometimes added 1 to 3 more points on that, so a minor curve was possible, but could do nothing else, cpu and system headers were not changeable addresses. That left SpeedFan which was very optimizable and complex and had it's own learning curve, but you could change mapping to use gpu temps, cpu, system header etc to control all or individual headers. It was great, if you could figure it out.

But, like any other software, it had its limits, those being different vendors, boards, Tracing, mapping, addressing etc so where SF got it's info got confusing and you'd end up with numbers like 255° or -125°C as variables and could rely on nothing to be accurate.

Honestly, I'd disable SpeedFan, totally, and run the laptop with just it's factory settings and see if the noise persists. It's entirely possible SpeedFan is picking up on other components, like the Sata controller, that generally sits at 90°C + and is using that to moderate fan curve temps.

Reactions: CountMike