Question Fans 100% at Start Up Fancontrol Issue?

gtr22

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Fancontrol software works once I'm on the desktop. All my case fans run accordingly. Even when I shut down the fans ramp back to 100% until it finally shuts off. I've made sure the bios fan settings are on standard.

Does anyone know how to manage this?

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the BIOS version for your motherboard. How the fans are tethered to your platform? How they are configured to behave with regards to your build's activity?

gtr22

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
CPU: i9 12900k
EKWB Vector cpu waterblock
Asus z690 Gaming Pro
Corsair Dominator DDR4 2x8 gig
Samsung 980 Pro 1 Ter., WD Black M.2 1 Ter
GPU: Asus Tuff 3080 oc 12g
PSU: Corsair HX750i
Windows 11 Home
Bios version: 2305

I have my fans cooling for the cpu package temperature.

Why would you expect software to work when it's not loaded? I mean, before it loads and after it gets unloaded it's definitely not controlling the speed, so the fan should run at whatever it's set for in the BIOS--you could try changing ASUS AI Cooling there to enabled and see if the software can override that while in Windows.

And, is this really a bad thing? Alienware desktops used to always start up with fans at 100% which was really loud, and they called that a "dust clearing mode." That is, a feature not a bug.

gtr22

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Dust clearing, haha. Well it is loud and annoying and who knows how much extra wear it causes. I checked my bios and I set the fans. Now they are quiet when I start up. Thought I had done that before. Thanks for the replies.

Edit: After restarting a few times the fans are back at 100% until the software starts. This happens also when I don't have Fancontrol start with Windows. Maybe it's a Windows or bios problem?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
@grt22

Focus on discovering differences: i.e., fan control on or off.

Take a look in Task Manager, Reliability History, Event Viewer, and Task Scheduler.

Task Manager may reveal some unknown or unexpected task being launched via the Start tab and any such task is a possible culprit.

Reliability History and Event Viewer may reveal some related error code, warning, or even an informational event that occurs just befor or at the time(s) the fans ramp to 100%.

Task Scheduler could reveal app or utility being triggered during the shutdown process.

Use Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to identify all running processes.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

You can also run the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also run "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to identify and hopefully repair corrupted files.

Noted that the problem ended when you "set the fans". What exactly was done regarding the reset?

Where was it done - Fan Control? Details?

Then the problem reappeared. How many restarts (look in the logs)?

Take another look while the fans are again back at 100%. Check all settings, tools, etc.

Do the reset and agaIn, before the fans return to that 100% behavior and look for something that changed that correlates with quite fans. And reverts to something else when the fans go 100% again.

gtr22

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
I understand that, that's why I checked in the bios for my fan settings. They are set to run standard, or silent. This hasn't been an issue for me before I installed fancontrol. I found there is a delay for fancontrol at start up, so I changed it to the minimum of 1 second, which helped. Still when I shut the pc off, all the fans ramp up.