-MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
-32Gb Vengeance PRO 3.2Ghz PC-4 25600 DDR4 Ram
-RTX 2080 Super
-NZXT - H510 compact ATX

Older parts:
- Seagate 650w ps
-Corsair dual fan liquid cooler
- 2 x 120 fans (4 pin)
-Windows 8.1 (is this bad? considering new MB>?)

When I first turned on the PC after installing everything and plugging in the ethernet cable, there was no internet. It said there were no drivers for the gigabit LAN. I downloaded it and installed the drivers and the internet worked (However, this made me think that there was something wrong with the motherboard not working out of the box). should I update my bios?

My current issue is that I am not seeing the fans increase in speed when I play games on ultra settings... the NZXT case has my 2 fan liquid cooler in the front pulling in with 2 fans (1 rear, 1 rear top) blowing out. 1 plugged into CPU_FAN and 1 into Fan both are 4 pins. Note: not sure if this matters, but one fan in rear is an RGB fan and one read top is just a regular 120mm fan.

I downloaded speedfan but it did not detect/show my fans at all. no matter what I did it would not show my fans. I then went into my bios and it did show my fans and I have them (2) cause the AIO cooler is considered a pump fan and is running at 1400rpm. The 2 fans are set to PWM and there is a curve. I manually adjusted it to see if the fans would increase in rpm and they did... but once I set them and logged back into windows, I noticed that the fans just run at like 400rpm and do not increase with gaming. I am at a loss....

If anyone has some suggestions to help me get my fans running better, I would be very thankful.

thank you

Backtrap7

Reputable
Jun 24, 2016
What are your temps while gaming?

CPU got up to about 75c and the glass panel was really hot to the touch. The RTX 2080 has its own heatsinks and fans but it just blows down toward the bottom of the case... think that is what's heating the glass. The two exhaust fans just do not spin fast or blow much air.

I am also thinking of getting a Cool Master H500P because this NZXT - H510 compact ATX just seems to small for the RTX-2080

thanks for the reply :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Everything works from drivers. Most ppl only think about gpu drivers, but there's also the motherboard chipset drivers. These include the audio, Lan (internet), USB, Sata, pcie and others. Windows may or may not have the basic drivers, like VGA is basic, but for best performance and the advanced stuff you'll need to download all the latest stuff from the vendor website.

It's not a failure of your mobo, it's that not everybody uses Windows 10 64bit, some ppl use Windows 7 32bit still or various forms of Linux.

It sounds like your liquid cooler isn't hooked up correctly. Corsair cooler doesn't say much, but I'll give both. Some designs are Sata powered, have usb to mobo and wire to cpu_fan, fans plug to pump. Uses iCue software.

The other designs have 3 wire to plug into any sys_fan/cpu_aux, cpu_pump header and fas on a splitter that plugs to cpu_fan. That kind doesn't need software.

Either way, cpu_fan needs to go to the aio, the rear/top fans will go someplace else.

Backtrap7

Reputable
Jun 24, 2016
Everything works from drivers. Most ppl only think about gpu drivers, but there's also the motherboard chipset drivers. These include the audio, Lan (internet), USB, Sata, pcie and others. Windows may or may not have the basic drivers, like VGA is basic, but for best performance and the advanced stuff you'll need to download all the latest stuff from the vendor website.

It's not a failure of your mobo, it's that not everybody uses Windows 10 64bit, some ppl use Windows 7 32bit still or various forms of Linux.

It sounds like your liquid cooler isn't hooked up correctly. Corsair cooler doesn't say much, but I'll give both. Some designs are Sata powered, have usb to mobo and wire to cpu_fan, fans plug to pump. Uses iCue software.

The other designs have 3 wire to plug into any sys_fan/cpu_aux, cpu_pump header and fas on a splitter that plugs to cpu_fan. That kind doesn't need software.

Either way, cpu_fan needs to go to the aio, the rear/top fans will go someplace else.

Thanks for the help. I did mess with the AIO fans today and maybe that was the problem (stupid youtube). I put the AIO (Corsair H100i v2) in the front with the fans pulling cool air in. The CPU is nice and cool but I think that hot air is combining with the RTX 2080 super heat (that thing is a beast).

I was thinking of going to an air cooler instead of AIO liquid... but was not sure if I should. Is an air cooler enough for an i7-9700k (stock)? I do not plan to overclock.

thanks again

Edit: Karadjgne, I was reading some posts back from Oct 19 and I saw you giving advice on AIO front cooling... helped a lot... thanks:)

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/air-cooling-vs-water-cooling-for-i7-9700k.3534522/

I looked around a bit and could not find windows 8.1 drivers for your motherboard...That also supported 9th generation processors????

Check your bios settings and set cpu and case fan profiles. Since your cpu is running cool the case fans are not ramping up enough to keep the hot air out of the case.
This will be a test ans see, trial and error process.
You might find motherboard software to do the same thing but without proper drivers it may not install or work.

Backtrap7

Reputable
Jun 24, 2016
I looked around a bit and could not find windows 8.1 drivers for your motherboard...That also supported 9th generation processors????

Check your bios settings and set cpu and case fan profiles. Since your cpu is running cool the case fans are not ramping up enough to keep the hot air out of the case.
This will be a test ans see, trial and error process.
You might find motherboard software to do the same thing but without proper drivers it may not install or work.

Thanks for the reply... I also noticed that there was no bios software for windows 8.1. This makes me think it might be time to update to windows 10.

It makes total sense what you said about the fans not coming on because the CPU is cool (boy I feel dumb). I did set the fan profiles in the bios... set them to PWM and auto (pretty sure there was an auto choice).

again, thanks for the help.

Downgrading to windows 10 will not solve you fan speed problems unless you download the motherboard software and set fan profiles there.
Most newer motherboards have preset profiles in the bios for fan speeds. Some allow you to set custom curves also.
Your higher end board should have these options.
I have all Asus boards so I have no experience with MSI bios settings.
Will take me a few minutes to find the information.

Backtrap7

Reputable
Jun 24, 2016
Ok found it.
On start up spam the DELETE key. As soon as you boot hit it fast and repeatedly until it boots to bios screen.
Use F7 to switch from easy to advanced mode.
Under Hardware monitor you can set fan speeds and curves.

Thanks for the info, I was able to find the fan speed profiles in the bios and set the curves. The issue I have is that during heavy gaming my cpu remains fairly cool at around 50c but my rtx 2080 seems to be putting out a lot of heat.

The system fans do not seem to be increasing in rpm. Does the sys fan connectors monitor the heat in the case? I get that the cpu fan connectors increase fan speed based on cpu temp... But am unsure if the sys_fan connectors monitor heat or not.

Thanks again