Fans going crazy after reinstallation of Windows 10

Mathias_9

Commendable
May 4, 2016
When I open a game, my fans start to spin really fast, and it wont stop until I restart my pc, not even if I shut down the game. This started a occurring after I had just reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch. I have a Corsair AF140 in the back of my case, and 2 SP120 on a radiator for my CPU, which is an i7 6700k. My motherboard is the MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon. I have tried the following to fix it, but nothing have worked yet: Speedfan app, bios settings, MSI gaming app (setting it to silent mode). If anyone has a solution to my problem, please feel free to tell me. Thanks :)

Solution
Okay here is what i think. In my system i have 2 SP140 fans for my Corsair H115 cooler. These are not connected directly at my motherboard but through the built in fan controller. I then control these through the Corsair Link software with a fan profile. This makes my fans controlled by the water temp. and not the CPU temp.
I think that because you have connected directly through the motherboard, your fans are controlled by the CPU temp. which will raise very quickly. Somehow installing Windows 10 have changed your fans from being controlled by the water temp. to being controlled by probably your CPU temp. You will need some kind of software to change that i believe.

Mathias_9

Commendable
May 4, 2016

It's actually not a Corsair cooler, I just installed two Corsair fans on it. It worked fine until I reinstalled Windows 10. My cooler is the Liqmax II 240mm

Mathias_9

Commendable
May 4, 2016

I didn't use any software / install any drivers or anything when I first installed the cooler months back. I tried using afterburner, but it's not changing anything. I set it to manual, and turned the fan speed all the way down, and it's just not doing any difference. I had previously used afterburner for when I wanted to cool my pc for a while, and it worked perfectly, but now, nothing.

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
Are the fans powered through a fan header on the motherboard or plugged directly in to power? I'm guessing they are all through the Mobo in which case you should be able to use the bios to control them. Have you checked your temps after the install because it may be either the temp is reading wrong and your pc thinks it's overheating or your actually running hot and the fans are running full speed. In afterburner you have to select manual mode at the bottom after setting the fan speeds.

Mathias_9

Commendable
May 4, 2016

My back 140mm fan is plugged into a splitter on the other side of the motherboard, and my 2 cpu cooler fans are connected to the motherboard. One is in cpu_fan1, and the other is in cpu_fan2. exactly like my stock fans were, before I switched them out for 2x Corsair fans. I have tried bios, but it doesn't do anything. When I save settings and boot my pc, and open a game for about 2 minutes, they start to spin fast. I tried opening afterburner, and when I clicked it, it immediately started to go crazy. Tried to shut the process down from the task manager, and they're still really fast. I have to reboot to make them quiet again.

Edit: My temperatures (in celcius) are: GPU at 28c idle, CPU at 27c idle. They go to about 30-35, sometimes 40 depending on the game, when I play. If I understands this correctly, these temps are more than fine.

Mathias_9

Commendable
May 4, 2016

Any way of checking to be 100% sure? My temps are low, even in games, for multiple gaming sessions, so I think it is.

Mathias_9

Commendable
May 4, 2016

It's not a custom loop. It's the Enermax liqmax ii 240mm radiator. I'm not sure I can check if it's working properly

Mathias_9

Commendable
May 4, 2016

Correct. The pump is connected to sysfan3 right next to my ram slots. I don't know how to see if it's working in hwmonitor, but here's a picture, maybe you can help me :) https://imgur.com/a/0MpTW . I didn't get some stuff at the buttom captured, just tell me if you need it, and I'll upload it.

Edit: Here's the motherboard: https://imgur.com/a/qMi8b

Mathias_9

Commendable
May 4, 2016

I disabled Smart Fan Mode to try and fix it, but it didn't work. I also reset everything to default.

Here's some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/NNlNv

Mathias_9

Commendable
May 4, 2016

I can't hear them when I first start up my pc (only a tiiiiny bit, when pressing power on, but its only like 2 seconds, and I think it's pretty normal). I can watch movies, listen to music, do anything really. I can also run games perfectly, but my fans are super loud, and it's annoying. I just think it's funny this started after I reinstalled Windows. It's weird.

Okay here is what i think. In my system i have 2 SP140 fans for my Corsair H115 cooler. These are not connected directly at my motherboard but through the built in fan controller. I then control these through the Corsair Link software with a fan profile. This makes my fans controlled by the water temp. and not the CPU temp.
I think that because you have connected directly through the motherboard, your fans are controlled by the CPU temp. which will raise very quickly. Somehow installing Windows 10 have changed your fans from being controlled by the water temp. to being controlled by probably your CPU temp. You will need some kind of software to change that i believe.

Solution

Mathias_9

Commendable
May 4, 2016

Okay, at least I know more specifically what to look for now, thank you!

kombivan

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016
Hello Guys I had a noisy fan on start up after a reinstall of win 10 by microsoft after the april update as I had a shut down issue. After the reinstall my CPU fan would be noisy untill i shut down and restarted my computer which was annoying I have since fixed but not 100% sure what I did exactly as I didn't write it down but I did go into the control pannel/security and Maintenance/then I think I went into maintenance and selected the auto maintenance and ran it since then over 24 hours ago my computer has not started with a noisy fan and to think I have a new fan in the mail and it wasn't a hardware problem pisses me off Microsoft. I don't like wasting my food money.