[SOLVED] Fans/Led spin for half a sec and then PC shuts down completely

TheRealArchi

Reputable
Oct 23, 2016
My PC was functioning perfectly yesterday and after waking up this morning I have the issue where I turn it on, and I see fans / leds working for half a second, then the PC turns off. After this the power button has 0 effect, so if I want the same process to repeat itself I gotta unplug and plug back in the PSU cable. I tried unplugging every cable from the Mobo but no result. I don't think it's a GPU / CPU problem, and the mobo doesn't make any noise.

Please help me I'm hopeless and I'm not tech savy at all.

P.S.: Forgot to mention that when my keyboard is connected, it's LED's are on while the PC won't turn on. So does that mean the PSU is functional ?

Last edited:
Solution
My PC was functioning perfectly yesterday and after waking up this morning I have the issue where I turn it on, and I see fans / leds working for half a second, then the PC turns off. After this the power button has 0 effect, so if I want the same process to repeat itself I gotta unplug and plug back in the PSU cable. I tried unplugging every cable from the Mobo but no result. I don't think it's a GPU / CPU problem, and the mobo doesn't make any noise.

Can you list out the specs of your computer? If you have a video card, you can unplug it and use the onboard video instead. I've had this issue and it is usually the power supply crapping out.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003

Can you list out the specs of your computer? If you have a video card, you can unplug it and use the onboard video instead. I've had this issue and it is usually the power supply crapping out.

Solution

TheRealArchi

Reputable
Oct 23, 2016

Aight probably won't help much but, (everything is 3 years old):
Nvidia gtx 1080 GPU
i7 Intel CPU (no integrated graphics)
Corsair X650 Watt semi-something PSU
16 GB of RAM DDR3 or smth
-> Don't remember exactly but basically if you're doubting the compatibility, all of them are perfectly compatible.

That worked wonders. Never had issues be4 today. Kinda used intensely the PC this entire time but still kinda surprised it broke before it hit the 7+ years mark.
Never overclocked, no nothing, have a <Mod Edit> ton of fans, so overheating not likely either.
I know that in my building they were playing with electricity to fix some issues or whatever but I hope it has nothing to do with my issue and is a pure coincidence.

Oh btw, did I mention that every single fan (including CPU/GPU) / led turned on for half a sec ? Yeah, lmao, weird stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRealArchi

Reputable
Oct 23, 2016

Aight so how high are the odds of this being the PSU ?
I need my PC working asap coz me have a project, but I don't wanna end up having 2 perfectly fine PSUs LEL

TheRealArchi

Reputable
Oct 23, 2016
Watch the language
Alright people, I looked online, and apparently it's a PSU problem. Ran a test where I isolated the PSU and powered it. PSU fan worked for half a second and turned off like the system did, so yeah it's Removed
For those in the same situation as me, order a new PSU. Normally this didn't spread to other components.

Last edited by a moderator: