Fans not working

Apr 18, 2018
I recently purchased some AF120 fans for my PC, I plugged them into a phanteks PWM fan hub, and they arent turning on. The fan hub is turning on (it has LED lights, and those are on). I have the power connected to the motherboard SYSFAN header, as well as via the sata connection. neither are working. I look in my BIOS, and was unable to find anything that mentioned turning the fans on.

here is a picture of my pc's Gear List

What are some steps I can take try to get the fans on?

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from stanlore : "Fans not working"

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Those AF120 fans are of the 3-pin design, which should work just fine with the Phanteks PWM Hub. You prroblem may be with the Hub's set-up. It has two cables to it. One must connect to a PSU SATA power output connector for fan power and you say that's been done. The other must connect to a mobo SYS_FAN 4-pin fan header, which you say also is done. Now, it is vital that the SYS_FAN header actually use PWM Mode (not the older Voltage Control Mode or DC Mode) so that it provides a PWM signal from its Pin #4 to the Hub. Post back here exactly what maker and model number of mobo you have, and we can check its manual for how that can be set up.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for the link. Your mobo has a problem that CAN be handled by connecting the Hub exactly as its instructions say. The SYS_FAN1 header does NOT use PWM Mode, so it does not provide the PWM signal that the Hub needs to be able to work. So you are correct, the fan cable from the Hub MUST plug into the mobo CPU_FAN header to get that signal.

Now, you have your liquid cooler plugged in there. For your situation, unplug that cooler and plug the Hub's fan cable into the CPU_FAN header. Then go to the Hub and disconnect any fan that is plugged into the WHITE #1 port of the Hub. Plug the liquid cooler system into that special port. Then connect the fan you just disconnected to any other Hub port.

When things are connected this way the Hub can work properly and all your fans will be under automatic speed control. The speed of the liquid cooler system (either its pump or its radiator fan, depends on details of that system) will be shown in BIOS Setup as the speed of the CPU fan. The speeds of all your other fans will NOT be shown anywhere. But that is OK - the system does not need to know those speeds to work just fine.