[SOLVED] Fans ramping up ridiculously high.

Feb 1, 2022
I need to put this here because I feel I have exhausted all my options and I remain confused. My case fans keep ramping up really high no matter what I do. They're basically silent when doing light tasks, but the moment I open a game it is just obscenely loud. If this in anyway correlated with the temperature of the CPU then I might understand it, but the CPU is barely being utilised in these games and usually sits around 35-40 degrees c.

So far I've tried changing the fan curves in BIOS, changing fan control from PWM to voltage, tweaking max power settings so it can't go into boost mode, setting the CPU to eco in Ryzen Master etc. The fan high speed doesn't seem to correlate at all with how hot the CPU is getting in any of the monitoring software I'm using, and I bought noctuas specifically with the intention of having a quieter build.

My CPU is a Ryzen 7 5800x, and the card is an RX 6800 XT. The case is a full tower with enough fans that this shouldn't really be happening. The case fans are Noctua NF-A14s, and the CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-U12S. The card doesn't appear to be an issue at all and I barely hear it unless I'm uncapped on a graphically intensive game, the issue is 100% coming from the case fans and possibly the CPU cooler. It doesn't even seem to correlate with the game's intensity either, it goes in and out of full blown leaf blower mode whether I play uncapped, capped to 140, or capped to 60 in a game. At 60 the usage for Resident Evil 3 Remake is about 35% on the card and 12% on the CPU in 1440p, yet it still ramps up.

Solution
full blown leaf blower

Leaf blowers, at 50 feet, produce from 64 dB(A) to 74 dB(A) while at operator distance, noise is between 95 dB(A) to 115 dB(A). So, i think you're exaggerating your case fans in a wide margin. Though, either you have exceptionally great hearing, or you get triggered by Noctua fan noise. Since the fans you have, aren't that loud to begin with.

NF-A14 goes max 1500 RPM with 24.6 dB(A), specs: https://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-pwm/specification
NF-F12 PWM (on your CPU cooler) also goes max 1500 RPM but with 22.4 dB(A), specs: https://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-pwm/specification

In my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig), i mostly have Corsair ML140 Pro LED fans, which go max 2000 RPM with 37 dB(A)...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
full blown leaf blower

Leaf blowers, at 50 feet, produce from 64 dB(A) to 74 dB(A) while at operator distance, noise is between 95 dB(A) to 115 dB(A). So, i think you're exaggerating your case fans in a wide margin. Though, either you have exceptionally great hearing, or you get triggered by Noctua fan noise. Since the fans you have, aren't that loud to begin with.

NF-A14 goes max 1500 RPM with 24.6 dB(A), specs: https://noctua.at/en/nf-a14-pwm/specification
NF-F12 PWM (on your CPU cooler) also goes max 1500 RPM but with 22.4 dB(A), specs: https://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-pwm/specification

In my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig), i mostly have Corsair ML140 Pro LED fans, which go max 2000 RPM with 37 dB(A) (specs) and few ML120 Pro LED (on CPU cooler) that goes up to 2400 RPM and also, up to 37 dB(A) (specs). Now, my fans, at max speed, are a bit on the loud side but nothing to be bothered about.
Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 is something to be annoyed with, since that blasts at 43.2 dB(A) at 3000 RPM (specs), so, like i said, you either have exceptional hearing or are triggered by the mere 24.6 dB(A) your 140mm fans produce.

There are many fixes for fan noise:
Noctua fans come with LNA adapter, which you can use as well. This will cap the RPM to 1200 and noise to 19.2 dB(A) for 140mm fan and 18.6 dB(A) for 120mm fan.
Another option would be buying fan controller, where you can control your fans yourself, if you're not happy what BIOS does. (It's the option i chose with my PCs.)
And there are programs out there as well (e.g SpeedFan), that give you control over your fans, without relying on BIOS alone.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I need to put this here because I feel I have exhausted all my options and I remain confused. My case fans keep ramping up really high no matter what I do. They're basically silent when doing light tasks, but the moment I open a game it is just obscenely loud. If this in anyway correlated with the temperature of the CPU then I might understand it, but the CPU is barely being utilised in these games and usually sits around 35-40 degrees c.

So far I've tried changing the fan curves in BIOS, changing fan control from PWM to voltage, tweaking max power settings so it can't go into boost mode, setting the CPU to eco in Ryzen Master etc. The fan high speed doesn't seem to correlate at all with how hot the CPU is getting in any of the monitoring software I'm using, and I bought noctuas specifically with the intention of having a quieter build.

My CPU is a Ryzen 7 5800x, and the card is an RX 6800 XT. The case is a full tower with enough fans that this shouldn't really be happening. The case fans are Noctua NF-A14s, and the CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-U12S. The card doesn't appear to be an issue at all and I barely hear it unless I'm uncapped on a graphically intensive game, the issue is 100% coming from the case fans and possibly the CPU cooler. It doesn't even seem to correlate with the game's intensity either, it goes in and out of full blown leaf blower mode whether I play uncapped, capped to 140, or capped to 60 in a game. At 60 the usage for Resident Evil 3 Remake is about 35% on the card and 12% on the CPU in 1440p, yet it still ramps up.

Low-Noise Adaptor should of came with the fans, don't use one on the CPU cooler.

The 5800X runs hot anyhow so could be the cooler fan.